ELIZABETH BOARD OF EDUCATION
Elizabeth, New Jersey
TITLE: Director of Student Services
- Valid Director of School Counseling certificate or certificate of eligibility.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively administer guidance counselor programs and to work with parents, community groups and agencies.
- Strong leadership and communication
- Required criminal history check and proof of S. citizenship or resident alien status.
REPORTS TO: Assistant Superintendent of Schools
SUPERVISES: Supervisor of Guidance
Substance Awareness Coordinator
College and Career Coordinator
District Social Worker
The Director of Student Services directs the planning, development, organization, management, direction, and implementation of all aspects of Student Services programs of the schools which include alternative education, grant funded programs, guidance services, Section 504 procedures; compliance with laws, codes, and regulations; evaluates assigned personnel; and performs related work as required.
- Directs the planning, development, organization, management, direction, and implementation of all aspects of Student Services programs of the schools.
- Serves as a leader and general resource person in matters relating to student discipline and alternative education.
Alternative Education Programs
- Provides direct oversight of the development and implementation of alternative education
- Facilitates enrollment of students into alternative programs and their return to regular
- Assists with the development, implementation, and evaluation of effective alternative programs for students at-risk.
- Provides direction, coordination, and guidance to school's counseling services and outside contracted services, as needed.
- Provides direction to assist in dropout prevention
Staff Supervision and Coordination
- Assumes responsibility for the recruitment, assignment, supervision and evaluation of all certified
Contact with Parents and Community
- Initiates, facilitates and maintains liaison with community agencies and other resources to meet
- Prepares board agenda items relating to the Director’s areas of responsibilities, submitting items in a timely and appropriate manner for final review.
- Attends principal
- Attends other staff meetings, as
Program Planning, Administration, Evaluation and Reporting
- Participates in the development and implementation of inservice and training
- Prepares and administers the departmental
- Provides timely and effective communications regarding incidents and/or situations which might impact the school.
- Establishes annual goals and objectives as deemed appropriate by the Gathers appropriate data in support of the status of annual objectives.
- Maintains personal professional competence and continuous improvement through in-service education and other professional growth activities.
- Performs other related duties as may be assigned by the Superintendent of Schools.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Twelve (12) months; tenurable
Annual Evaluation: Evaluated by the Assistant Superintendent, consistent with statute, code and collective negotiations agreement.
Approved by: July 19, 2023
N.J.S.A. 10:5-1 et seq. Law Against Discrimination
N.J.S.A. 18A:6-7.1 Criminal history records; employee in regular contact with pupils; grounds for disqualification from employment; exception
N.J.S.A. 18A:6-10 Dismissal and reduction in compensation of persons under
tenure in public school system
N.J.S.A. 18A:16-2 Physical examinations; requirement
N.J.S.A. 18A:26-1 Citizenship of teachers, etc.
N.J.S.A. 18A:26-1.1 Residence requirement prohibited
N.J.S.A. 18A:26-2 Certificates required; exception
N.J.S.A. 18A:27 Employment and contracts
N.J.S.A. 18A:28-3 No tenure for noncitizens
N.J.S.A. 18A:28-5 Tenure of teaching staff members
N.J.S.A. 18A:28-8 Notice of intention to resign required
N.J.S.A. 18A:40 Promotion of health and prevention of disease
N.J.S.A. 18A:40A Substance abuse
N.J.S.A. 18A:46 Classes and facilities for handicapped children
N.J.A.C. 6A:7 Managing for equality and equity in education
N.J.A.C. 6A:8 Standards and assessment
N.J.A.C. 6A:9 Professional licensure and standards
N.J.A.C. 6A:9-3 Professional standards for teachers and school leaders
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B State board of examiners and certification
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-5 General certification policies
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-8 Requirements for instructional certificate
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-9 Instructional certificates
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-10.3 Special education
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-11.5 Principal
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-11.6 Supervisor
N.J.A.C. 6A:9C-3 Required professional development for teachers and school leaders
N.J.A.C. 6A:14 Special education
N.J.A.C. 6A:16 Programs to support student development
N.J.A.C. 6A:17 Students at risk of not receiving a public education
N.J.A.C. 6A:30 Evaluation of the performance of school districts
N.J.A.C. 6A:32-4 Employment of teaching staff
N.J.A.C. 6A:32-6 School employee physical examinations
N.J.A.C. 6A:32-7 Student records
8 U.S.C.A. 1100 et seq - Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986,
20 U.S.C. 1400 et seq., Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), reauthorized 1997, P.L. 105-17 (formerly the Education for All Handicapped Act)
Agostini v. Felton, 65 U.S.L.W. 4524 (1997), overruling Aguilar v. Felton, 473 U.S. 402 (1985)
Honig v. Doe, 484 U.S. 305 (1988)
Oberti v. Board of trustees of Clementon School District, 995 F.2d 1204, 1216-17 (3d Cir. 1993) Every Student Succeeds Act, Pub. L. 114-95, Title 1, 20 U.S.C.A. 6301 et seq.