Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
TITLE: Head Coach
State Teaching Certificate/County Substitute Certificate (60 college credit units to qualify); Skill qualifications necessary to complete established performance responsibilities. Must possess prior experience in coaching the sport.
SUPERVISION FROM: Director of Athletics; Building Principal
SUPERVISION OVER: Assistant Coach(es); managers, student athletes, other adults working in the sport area.
To assume primary responsibility for leadership, supervision and organization of a specific athletic activity to carry out the objectives of the District Athletic Program, the Conference and the N.J.S.I.A.A.
- Must possess and demonstrate knowledge of the sport.
- Shall be knowledgeable of new ideas and techniques by attending clinics and workshops, reading in his/her sport and encouraging Assistant Coach(es) to do the same.
- Shall be responsible for up-to-date knowledge of conference and state rules, and for ensuring that the head coach and assistants abide by such rules at all times.
- Shall be active in professional organizations.
- Shall be responsible for the general upkeep, care and protection of equipment under his/her jurisdiction. Keeps up-to-date inventory of supplies and equipment within the sport area and shall arrange for the systematic return of all school equipment.
- Takes appropriate actions, including recommendations for improvement, to ensure that his/her facility, field, locker room and/or play area are maintained in a safe and healthy state for student participation.
- Shall recommend to the Athletic Director and Principal, personnel for assistant coaching positions.
- Recommends the purchase of equipment, supplies, uniforms and other materials, as appropriate and necessary.
- Drafts and submits an annual budget for his/her sport, as may be requested by the Director of Athletics and the building Principal.
- Shall maintain records of team and individual accomplishments to be recorded with the Athletic Director on a regular basis.
- Shall actively participate in League and County coaches meetings.
- Fall coaches shall be present for pre-season sport physicals.
- Shall have working knowledge of the District policies on accident reporting and insurance programs and ensure that each athlete has had an appropriate physical examination.
- Shall assist the Athletic Director in compiling eligibility lists.
- Shall communicate to student athletes all rules and regulations related to participation in the school sports program.
- Shall communicate to athletes the criteria for receiving awards.
- Shall delegate responsibility to Assistant Coach(es) for all Varsity and sub-Varsity contests.
- Shall provide supervisory control over all phases of team activities including Freshman, Sophomore and Junior Varsity.
- Conducts practice sessions within his/her sport within guidelines specified by the Director of Athletics and clears special holiday or weekend practice schedules with the Director of Athletics.
- Shall emphasize safety precautions and use accepted training and injury procedures. Works closely with the school physician, the school nurse, and the athletic trainer as appropriate in dealing with injuries.
- Shall conduct one’s self in a sportsmanlike fashion at all times and is responsible for the actions and conduct of his/her team members whenever they are under his/her jurisdiction. Enforces discipline and sportsmanlike behavior at all times, and establishes penalties for breach of such standards by individual students.
- Shall be responsible for supervising all locker rooms and securing all facilities at the close of each practice or contest.
- Make recommendations for awards, and for the establishment of appropriate criteria for awards, as directed by the Director of Athletics, and shall attend all award programs related to his/her sport.
- Shall ensure that members of his/her team are dressed appropriately.
- Clears with the Principal and Director of Athletics the departure time for trips which involve the loss of school times, and for seeing that the faculty is given adequate and appropriate prior notice of such changes.
- Builds good sportsmanship and good public relations in the school and community. Makes available appropriate information to the news media relevant to his/her sport.
- Keeps the Director of Athletics informed of program developments and problems as they occur throughout the season.
- Shall recommend short term student athlete suspensions directly to the Director of Athletics and shall recommend long term suspensions or dismissals to the Director of Athletics and the Building Principal.
- Teaches individual participants the skills necessary for excellent achievement in the sport involved.
- Shall be responsible for other duties as necessary and assigned by the Director of Athletics.