Job Title: Assistant Director of Buildings and Grounds
Department: Buildings & Grounds
Reports To: Director of Buildings & Grounds
Position Summary: Under the direction of the Director of Buildings and Grounds, assisting in the responsibility of providing oversight of the operations of contractors engaged in custodial, maintenance, care of grounds services and construction services in addition to coordinating functions designated by the Director.
Qualifications: Certified Supervisor of Educational Facilities Management course or two years’ related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Essential Duties: The Assistant Director of Building and Grounds has the duties and responsibilities commonly associated with this position, including (but not exclusive of) the following, which are performed directly or through the proper delegation of authority, within the framework of the general laws of New Jersey, the regulations of the NJ State Department of Education, and the policies and regulations of the West Windsor-Plainsboro Regional School District.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists the Director of Building and Grounds (“Director”) in oversight of the regularly scheduled custodial and maintenance program to assist in ensuring that the District in providing safe, clean and healthy buildings, and well-maintained buildings and grounds.
- Provides oversight of contractors regarding compliance with all district policies, regulations, and security protocols.
- Provides oversight in conjunction with the Director regarding compliance of the outsourced custodial, maintenance and grounds contract. This includes compliance of the contract to ensure success of the program as well all district policies, regulations, and security protocols.
- Regularly conducts inspections of all buildings and facilities and suggests remedial actions in consultation with the Director and building administrators.
- Assists Director in oversight in work of contractors with respect to custodial, maintenance, care of grounds, and construction services.
- Oversees contractors’ work in preparation and maintenance of athletic fields, lawn cutting, and landscaping.
- Plans and holds regularly scheduled meetings with building administrators and director of athletics to ensure that buildings and grounds are properly maintained and needs are appropriately addressed.
- Regularly and effectively communicates in-person, by telephone, and in writing with supervisory staff of contractors for custodial and maintenance services to assist Director in oversight of contractors’ fulfillment of contractual responsibilities.
- Assists in the inspection of work of contractors and other contracted services as related to construction and renovation projects
- Suggests remedial action as deemed necessary for building and grounds (includes energy and environmental issues) in consultation with the Director.
- Interprets district policies and applicable laws to supervisors of contractors, and contracted workers as needed and enforces safety regulations.
- Establishes or adjusts work procedures and schedules in consultation with the Director.
- Suggests to Director changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of work crews.
- Requisitions, inspects, and maintains tools, equipment, and supplies.
- Effectively analyzes and assists in resolution of problems.
- Serves as the district’s Integrated Pest Management Coordinator, ensuring compliance with all requirements.
- Attends District Safety Committee meetings and follows up on concerns raised about safety on district grounds and in district facilities.
- Assists Director in overseeing workers engaged in painting and performing structural repairs to masonry, woodwork, and furnishings of buildings.
- Coordinates snow removal or emergency operations as needed.
- Makes keys for district facilities as needed, maintains inventory of issued keys, and monitors safekeeping of keys.
- Performs other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Buildings and Grounds.
Requirements of Position: This position requires a valid driver’s license. The physical demands of the position include the following on a regular and frequent basis: the ability to hear and speak and to communicate effectively verbally and in writing; ability to read and interpret information from laws, policies, regulations, contractual documents, and technical manuals; the ability to regularly stand, walk, climb stairs and ladders, kneel, crouch; the ability to use keyboards; and the ability to use hands and fingers to perform routine inspections of facilities and equipment. On an infrequent basis, the position requires the ability to lift up to 50 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The position requires exposure to outside weather conditions, including wet and humid conditions, extreme, cold, and extreme heat. The position requires exposure to odors emanating from chemicals, cleaning supplies, and equipment.
Evaluation: Performance of this position will be evaluated annually in accordance with the board’s policy on supervision and evaluation of non-certificated personnel by the director of buildings and grounds.
Terms of Employment: Twelve month contract