ASSISTANT PROFESSOR OF TEACHER EDUCATION
Starting September 1, 2019
Founded in 1969, Stockton University, New Jersey’s Distinctive Public University, is also one of America’s most distinctive public universities, consistently ranking among the nation’s finest educational institutions and among the top ten public Master’s institutions in the Northeast. Stockton proudly offers the academic, technological, and cultural advantages of a large institution combined with the community spirit of a small liberal arts college. Stockton is noted for combining an outstanding interdisciplinary approach to graduate and undergraduate education with all the qualities of an outstanding employer. We offer a unique vibrant working environment, a wealth of work related opportunities and outstanding employee benefits. Stockton is committed to attracting, encouraging and retaining a qualified workforce to support the mission of the University. The University is located in the Pinelands National Reserve in southern New Jersey, about one hour from Philadelphia, two hours from New York City, three hours from the Baltimore/Washington area, and 20 minutes from Atlantic City. The University’s location, active, stimulating campus life and diverse community make Stockton University a great place to work!
Stockton University seeks an applicant for a 10-month Tenure Track Assistant Professor position for the Teacher Education program (TEDU), to begin September 1, 2019. TEDU Program is designed to prepare new teachers to be: competent in their content area, understand and integrate strong pedagogical practices in engaging ways, recognize and meet the diverse needs of all learners, and demonstrate professional responsibilities. The program is accredited by the Teacher Education Accreditation Council (TEAC, now part of CAEP) for a period of seven years, from 2013 to 2020. As of 2014, TEAC merged with CAEP, the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation. The program is aligned to current national standards for teacher preparation including CAEP, InTASC and state-based New Jersey Professional Standards for Teachers. The Assistant Professor will deliver undergraduate level courses in foundations of education and pedagogy, achieve a record of scholarly publications, and serve as preceptor to students with concentrations or majors in TEDU.
The School of Education (SOE) at Stockton employs twenty full-time faculty and over 50 adjunct faculty and enrolls approximately 1000 students in the following undergraduate and graduate programs: Teacher Education and Liberal Studies (Baccalaureate), Master of Arts in Education, Master of Arts in Instructional Technology, and Doctor of Education in Organizational Leadership. The undergraduate Teacher Education and Liberal Studies (TEDU) program faculty have an “embedded” symbiotic relationship with the graduate level Master of Arts in Education (MAED) program faculty, sharing some faculty members in common who teach between both programs on a regular and/or as-needed basis. In addition, the Southern Regional Institute & Educational Technology Training Center and the Stockton Center for Economic and Financial Literacy are part of the School of Education.
Responsibilities for this position include, but are not limited to:
- Offering courses in teacher education, pedagogy and related areas, and courses in general studies
- Participating in scholarship and/or creative activities as appropriate to the discipline
- Serving as preceptor to students
- Providing service to the university, community, and profession
- Performing other duties under the direction of the Program Director, Dean of the School of Education and/or the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Demonstrate, through past accomplishments and actions, the ability to support Stockton University’s diversity commitment and strong student-centered vision and mission.
- Doctoral degree for appointment to the position of Assistant Professor (ABD will be considered)
- Five years successful teaching experience in P-3 or special education in a variety of settings (e.g. elementary, inclusive early intervention classrooms, etc.)
- Teaching experience at the college level in teacher education
- Experience with diverse populations in PK-12, and NJ (or reciprocal) certification in P-3 and/or TOSD. (Research experience with these populations may be considered if applicant is not certified in these areas.)
Salary commensurate with experience and is accompanied by an extremely competitive university benefits package.
Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
To apply please visit: https://stockton.hiretouch.com. Only electronic documents will be accepted. Please complete the on-line application in addition to providing the following required documents. All required documents must be submitted in order for your application to move forward. You may upload documents using Word or PDF
- A letter of interest describing qualifications and accomplishments
- A current resume or curriculum vitae
- Short (1-page) teaching philosophy statement
- Documents showing evidence of teaching effectiveness
- Short description of Scholarship plans and research capabilities
- Samples of scholarly or creative work (e.g. documents, video, etc.)
- Unofficial Graduate transcripts
- A list of three professional references (included in the application): Name, Organization, Email address and Telephone
- All offers of employment are contingent upon a favorable background check.
- Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should contact: Sharon Hunt, Recruitment Manager at 609-652-4384.
- In accordance with the New Jersey First Act P.L. 2011 c.70, effective September 1, 2011, new public employees in certain positions are required to obtain New Jersey residency within one (1) year of employment. Applicants must meet the requirements listed.
- Prospective employees may access the Annual Security Report for the University at stockton.edu/campuspolice or contact the Campus Police department at 609-652-4378 to request a hard copy of the report.
- Stockton University is an equal opportunity institution encouraging a diverse pool of applicants, visit; http://www.stockton.edu/affirmative_action. Additionally, pursuant to Title IX of the Education Amendment of 1972, Stockton University prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex (i.e., which includes but is not limited to the prohibition of sexual misconduct and relationship violence, including sexual assault and harassment) in all of its educational programs and activities.
You may use the APPLY button.