QUALIFICATIONS: The Assistant Coach shall hold a teaching certificate issued by the State Board of Education or a substitute teaching certificate issued by the County of Sussex. The Assistant Coach must have on file his/her criminal background check.
REPORTS TO: Assistant Principal for Athletics and Student Activities
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: As determined annually and must be Board of Education approved
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The Assistant Coach~Newton High School
- Is directly responsible to the head coach
- Is responsible for demonstrating a philosophy and an approach consistent with that of the head coach, athletic department, and school.
- Has knowledge of the rules and regulations of your sport and eligibility rules of N.J.S.I.A.A. as well as in-season and out-of-season guidelines.
- Serves as a role model for the student athletes under his/her tutelage.
- Assumes charge of the program at the appropriate time.
- Assists in the distribution and collection of equipment.
- Ensures proper conduct in locker room.
- Is responsible for the checking of permission slips, the roster list, emergency cards, insurance coverage, eligibility lists, etc.
- Is responsible for accident and injury reports and follow-up; this should be completed within 24 hours of the injury and given to the athletic trainer.
- Is responsible for helping the head coach formulate the supervision schedule, plans and procedures and to see that these policies, once formulated, are carried out.
- Verifies, at appropriate times, student eligibility.
- Keeps abreast of the latest developments in his/her particular activities
- Assists the head coach in an organized program, maintaining the proper standards of conduct, cleanliness, and safety in the locker room and in game and match areas.
- Is responsible for attending pre-season meetings and post-season evaluation activities.
- Reports all injuries to the head coach and the athletic trainer. All accident/injuries reports should be completed and given to the athletic trainer.
- Scouts and evaluates opponents in accordance with the guidelines of the head coach.
- Assumes additional responsibilities requested by the head coach.
- Performs other duties which may be necessary to ensure the proper functioning of the interscholastic athletic program and which are incident to the position of assistant coach.
- Performs related work as required (Note: The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position).
The Newton School District is committed to providing equal opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment in accordance with all applicable federal, state and/or local equal opportunity laws. The Newton School District does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, age or any other status protected by applicable law.