Glassboro Public Schools is seeking qualified candidates in the capacity of a School Bus Aide. This position is responsible for, but not limited to the following duties:
QUALIFICATIONS: High School diploma and experience working with children with special needs. Must complete training for interacting with children with special needs per the New Jersey Department of Education in accordance with NJSA 18A:39-19.2. Must be knowledgeable of child guidance and motivational principles and practices related to children with special education needs. Problems and concerns of students with special needs. Methods and techniques for meeting the special needs of students and responding to behavior issues. Interpersonal skills using tact, patience, and courtesy. Health, safety, and child abuse regulations. Oral and written communication skills. First aid and CPR procedures. Basic record-keeping techniques. Ability to operate safety devices with hands and fingers, sit for extended periods of time in restricted space, adequate hearing and speaking to exchange information, restrain physically active or aggressive students, bend at the waist, and kneel or crouch to assist students. Adequate vision to able to monitor students and read a variety of materials and lift children as assigned by the position.
REPORTS TO: School Bus Driver/Transportation Supervisor
JOB GOAL/MAJOR FUNCTIONS:
Assist in providing safe transportation for physically and mentally handicapped students; monitor, assist, and care for students. Demonstrate and understand, patient and receptive attitude toward special education students and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with adults and children.
- Assist with loading and unloading of students; utilize wheelchair lift, as necessary. Assist students in wheelchairs by loading and securing chairs before departure and assuring students are safely fastened into their seats; secure seatbelts, harnesses, tie downs and various adaptive and assistive devices; restrain physically active or aggressive students as needed.
- Monitor student behavior: provide assistance to meet the special needs of students; maintain order and discipline among students in accordance with District policies and procedures; assure student understanding of proper bus behavior and emergency procedures.
- Determine appropriate action in potential or real medical emergency situation according to established guidelines; administer first aid to passengers as needed.
- Communicate with teachers, staff, and parents concerning student needs, issues, and concerns.
- Clean up after students as needed.
- Maintain routine records related to student behavior and assigned activities.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a ten (10) month position with salary and contract terms to be negotiated with the Superintendent and the Board of Education.
Performance in this position will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of personnel.
GPSD communicates information regarding the hiring process via email. Please be aware that the District is not responsible for messages blocked by your email service. In an effort to allow our emails through your personal spam filter, you can add the email email@example.com to your safe senders list.
GPSD provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, immigration status, association with a group with one or more actual or perceived characteristics or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. The Title IX Coordinator's contact information firstname.lastname@example.org, 856-652-2700, or by mail, 560 Bowe Blvd, Glassboro, NJ 08028. It is the policy of GPSD to maintain a drug-free workplace. If needed, individuals protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may request accommodation.