ASSOCIATE CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
Location(s): within their placement region; travel to other Uncommon regions will be required
TEAM & ROLE OVERVIEW
The Associate Chief Operating Officer (ACOO) oversees school and regional operations within their region, in conjunction with the Managing Director of Operations. The ACOO is responsible for ensuring that the schools in their region operate at the highest level, with systems in place that allow teachers and Principals to focus on instruction and academic achievement. The ACOO ensures excellent school operations through direct management of a “portfolio” of Directors of Operations (leaders in each school who manage all non-instructional aspects of the school). The ACOO reports to the Managing Director of Operations.
We are seeking an experienced operational leader who will set a high bar for school operations and will achieve that vision of excellence by managing and supporting a team of Directors of Operations. The ACOO must be able to effectively build their DOOs’ capacity to run high-functioning, operationally excellent schools. Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Effectively support and develop a team of school-based Directors of Operations; ensure outstanding school operations through their core areas of responsibility, including but not limited to:
- Daily School Systems
- Financial Management
- Food and Transportation
- Government Reporting
- HR & Personnel
- Assessment & Program Evaluation
- Enrollment Management
- Operations Leader Collaboration
- Operations Team Management
- Student & Staff Culture
- Hold DOOs accountable to performance metrics (Operations Dashboard, Operations Inspections, Mid-Year Evaluations, etc.), and support them in improving performance and meeting goals.
- Create, implement, and monitor cross-Uncommon operations initiatives in their regions (e.g. aligned toolkits for State Testing and School Launch; PD session facilitation and follow-up).
- Steward a leadership culture for DOO teams within regions.
- Ensure that school leaders are correctly implementing policies/procedures and intervene when needed if serious issues arise.
- Oversee hiring, on-boarding, management, and evaluation of all operations staff, including Directors of Operations and school-based operations teams.
Leadership & Collaboration
- Partner with ACOOs within and across regions to ensure consistent implementation of operations priorities.
- Work seamlessly with Assistant Superintendent(s) to facilitate the support of Principal/DOO co-leader pairs for schools that they jointly manage.
- Partner with regional school support team on all region-specific initiatives and systems (e.g. enrollment, Child Nutrition, government reporting, other projects identified through annual strategic planning).
- Serve as the liaison between schools in their region and Home Office teams to identify issues and implement sustainable solutions.
- Serve as an exceptional role model as a leader and manager, investing deeply in supporting and developing team members and growing their capacity to learn, contribute and engage in the work of the team and organization.