High School Guidance Counselor
- JOB ID # 285
Under the general supervision of the Director of Student Services, to provide students, parents, administrators, and other teaching staff with information on career and or educational opportunities; administer and interpret career assessment tools; and assist students in developing educational and occupational goals and plans.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Assists students in evaluating students' aptitudes and abilities through the interpretation of individual standardized test scores and other pertinent data, and works with students in developing education and occupation plans consistent with such evaluation.
- Assists students in making course and subject selections, as well as with evaluating career interests and choices.
- Assists in the scheduling of classes.
- Obtains and disseminates information regarding occupational opportunities to students and to classes studying occupations.
- Assists students with admissions, scholarship and identifying employment opportunities.
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student's abilities and needs, including students with special needs, and to familiarize stakeholders with guidance services.
- Researches educational and career opportunities, and coordinates with teachers, college and university personnel, resource specialists, and business and community organizations for the purpose of providing information, and making recommendations.
- Assists with the registration and orientation students who are new to the school regarding procedures and educational opportunities.
- Assists with the school district's dropout prevention efforts.
- Serves as ready resource to students to provide counseling that will lead each student to increased personal growth, self-understanding, and maturity.
- Plans and coordinates field trips to institutions of higher learning, businesses and other organizations related to guidance responsibilities.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research, and by maintaining professional relationships with members of institutions of higher learning and the business community.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping and providing student information to prospective colleges and employers, as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Assists in the orientation of new teachers, and provides in-service training in guidance.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of pre/post high school program eligibility requirements.
- Knowledge of college/university admissions processes, scholarship programs and other educational opportunities.
- Knowledge of current developments in business and industry regarding career opportunities and employment.
- Knowledge of differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- New Jersey Certification as a School Counselor
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree preferred.
Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.
You may use the APPLY button.