Student Wellness Associate
In our District, we put students first. Our vision: all Camden students will attend a high quality school where they are valued, challenged, and prepared for college and careers that positively impact their community and the world. High quality schools have a great teacher in every classroom, are housed in safe, clean buildings equipped to meet the needs of 21st century learners, with the support of an efficient and effective Central Office. All this is possible only with the right team members in place, working together with partners and the community to provide all students the academic, social, and emotional support needed to succeed in school and beyond. Read more here.
The Student Wellness Associate will be a part-time employee who is responsible for contacting parents/guardians of students who 1) have been exposed to, 2) have tested positive for, and/or 3) have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19. This role will provide guidance on the actions that should be taken by students, families and the District when a student tests positive for the Coronavirus disease (COVID-19). The Student Wellness Associate, in partnership with his/her manager and under the supervision of a Deputy Chief, will be responsible for: communicating with students and families to provide clarity to standard protocols and adherence to the core principles of case investigation and contact tracing as outlined by the Center for Disease Control, and ensuring an accurate record is maintained of positive COVID cases to comply with the reporting requirements from the Department of Health. A high level of confidentiality is expected in this role in all communication efforts. This role will also provide instructions regarding self-quarantining, isolation, absence guidance, and other essential support services as required.
- Valid New Jersey Licensed Practicing Nurse Licensure
- Preferred experience working with low-income students
- A valid driver’s license as well as current insurance and vehicle with valid registration
- Required criminal history background check, TB test and physical, and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Major responsibilities of the role may include, but are not limited to the following tasks:
- Initiate prompt communication with parents/guardians of students who have been exposed to, tested positive for and/or have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 through phone calls, email, and other communication platforms as necessary
- Accurately document conversations with parents/guardians of students exposed to, tested positive for and/or have been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19
- Place phone calls to the parents/guardians of newly diagnosed students and potentially exposed students
- Follow a script when interviewing students or parents/guardians
- Ask questions that help someone remember who they’ve been in close contact with
- Educate students and parents/guardians on approved protocols to reduce the risk of spread
- Collect and document necessary information in the prescribed database
- Monitor and alert immediate manager when a student either tests positive or does not comply with the established policy
- Ensure all documentation submitted is placed in the appropriate student's file
- Ensure the appropriate action is implemented based on the information provided by the student or parents/guardians as outlined in the procedures
- Protect student and family privacy
- Other duties and responsibilities as deemed necessary
An ideal candidate for this role will demonstrate the following and/or have experiences with:
- Prioritization and prompt action,
- Attention to detail in documentation and data management as multiple investigations will be conducted simultaneously
- Employ dynamic communication and interpersonal skills
- Cultural competency/sensitivity
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Flexible, optimistic approach to work
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and take initiative
- Empathetic interviewing skills to build rapport and maintain trust with patients of varied backgrounds
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and basic Web browsers and searches
We are seeking individuals who will exemplify the District’s core values:
Respect and Humility
We serve our community by recognizing the strengths, experiences, and perspectives of others. We humbly recognize our own limitations and incorporate lessons we gain from our reflective practice.
We use evidence to inform decisions and to ensure that we are accountable to our students and families.
Communication & Collaboration
We communicate openly and work collaboratively, recognizing that getting to the best possible decisions requires input from others. Honest communications build trust and establish a community that assumes best intentions.
With respect for the complexity of this work and the history that precedes us, we focus on persistence, resourcefulness, and inclusiveness to drive toward solutions.
REPORTS TO & EVALUATED BY
- Supervisor, Health Services
SALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD, AND UNION AFFILIATION
- Competitive based on qualifications and previous experience
- Twelve-month, non-tenureable position, part-time position
(Pending availability of funds and State Superintendent’s approval)
CAMDEN CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER