Certified by the State Board of Examiners in the State of New Jersey
REPORTS TO: Principal and/or his/her designee
JOB GOALS: To develop in each pupil an awareness of the role of science in economic and social progress; to motivate each pupil to acquire knowledge of scientific facts and principles, and skills in scientific methods of problem solving; to discover and develop special talents of pupils in scientific fields.
1. Teaches skills, knowledge and scientific attitudes through course in general science, agricultural, earth, physical and life sciences, biology, chemistry, physics, or science problems to pupils at the appropriate grade levels, utilizing course of study adopted by the Board of Education and other appropriate learning activities.
2. Instructs pupils in basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
3. Plans a science program involving demonstrations, lectures, discussions, and student experiments; organizes laboratory activities for optimum learning.
4. Provides individual or small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of pupils and to accommodate circumstances where a variety of projects and experiments are being worked on simultaneously.
5. Instructs pupils in proper use, care and safe handling of chemicals, science equipment, and plant and animal life.
6. Selects and requests books, instructional aids, science equipment, chemicals and supplies as authorized, and maintains inventory records as required.
7. Assists pupils in selection and development of individual research projects at the appropriate grade level.
8. Develops and maintains a classroom environment conducive to effective learning.
9. Provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil.
10. Encourages students to maintain standards of classroom behavior and self-discipline appropriate to learning.
11. Employs a variety of instructional techniques and media to meet the needs of all students.
12. Implements by instruction and action the district’s instructional goals and objectives established and approved by both local and State Boards of Education in accordance with state educational laws to ensure optimum student progress.
13. Takes necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
14. Evaluates student progress on a regular basis during each marking period and maintains accurate records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation.
15. Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior in compliance with school and district policy needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom and building.
16. Attends and participates in faculty meetings and fulfills required duties.
17. Cooperates in the development of a working relationship with all members of the faculty and other members of the school community.
18. Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss pupil’s progress and interpret the school program.
19. Participates in the construction and development of curriculum guides appropriate to one’s academic discipline.
20. Maintains a level of professional competence appropriate to the specific area of certification, assignment, and matters of general educational importance.
21. Prepares and maintains clear lesson plans to provide continuity of instruction.
22. Performs other related professional duties as required.
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel.