Instrumental Music Teacher
Reports to: Performing Arts Dept. Chair, Assistant Headmaster
Contract Length: 10 months
Delbarton School, an independent Benedictine Catholic school for young men in grades 7-12 seeks excellent candidates for the role of Instrumental Music teacher. Candidates should be compelling teachers who are confident in their capacity to create and deliver a dynamic, engaging, and challenging curriculum to middle and high school students. In addition to their teaching assignments, all faculty are expected to contribute to the life of the school community through coaching and/or moderating student activities. The preferred candidate is an instrumentalist with experience directing instrumental ensembles and teaching non-ensemble music classes as well.
- Advances the Benedictine Catholic mission and philosophy of Delbarton School in all professional duties.
- Adheres to all school policies and regulations, while supporting the school’s spiritual, artistic, and educational mission.
- Maintains a positive and engaging rehearsal and classroom environment where students are encouraged and challenged at all levels of development.
- Demonstrates and develops proper playing technique and practice habits with instrumentalists grades 7 - 12.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues and the Administration to foster a dynamic arts community where students perform, create, collaborate, and serve.
- Builds the school’s performing arts community by a demonstrated willingness to participate and help plan and execute concerts, school events, auditions, and guest artists.
- Demonstrates and effectively communicates knowledge of and competency in academic and arts curriculum; organizes learning materials to maximize time, as well as engages and motivates students.
- Manages the maintenance of school-owned instruments and facilitates student use of these instruments.
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Attributes)
- Undergraduate degree in Music and/or Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Experience working with middle school and/or high school band ensembles. Experience in piano and/or string ensembles is encouraged.
- Possesses ability to effectively teach and assess an academically gifted and diverse student population.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- History of collegiality and collaboration with other teachers and administrators.
- Ability to differentiate instruction to meet the needs of students with diverse learning profiles.
- Innovative, creative, and flexible teaching style.
- Understands the developmental needs of students and how they learn best.
- Demonstrated and direct experience using a wide range of instructional technology tools including Zoom, Office 365, and Google.
- Regularly lifting or carrying 1-20 lbs.
- Regular pushing/pulling/bending/stooping/kneeling
- Regularly climbing stairs**
- Regularly sitting or standing 4-8 hours
- Requires physical presence, work to be performed on campus
- ** Denotes essential functions of the position