NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION
HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES
765 BROAD STREET, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102
ROGER LEÓN, DISTRICT SUPERINTENDENT
TEACHER OF PHYSICAL EDUCATION/HEALTH
(Pending availability of funds and Superintendent’s approval)
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the position of Teacher of Physical Education/Health at Newark School of Data Science & Information Technology.
The Newark School of Data Science and Information Technology empowers students to join the next generation of research scientists and information technology professionals. Courses at this newly-founded school prepares students to tackle data sharing and privacy problems, ascertain and eliminate information technology vulnerabilities and guide students to commit to a career of ethical computing practices.
We invite you to join a new team to teach and inspire students to explore their interest in creating applications and managing various technology solutions. As a member of our team you can expect to leverage concepts involving web applications, digital communications, information and support services, network systems, programming and software development, and more to prepare our students for careers in information technology and data science.
The Newark Board of Education is where passion meets progress. We want you to discover a rewarding career with us. If the opportunity to make learning limitless excites you then, join our community of educators.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university.
- A New Jersey Department of Education Standard Certificate, Certificate of Eligibility (CE), or Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS).
- Possession of a current and valid teaching certificate in Health and Physical Education (1605) OR Physical Education (1630) issued by the New Jersey Department of Education.
- Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform the essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made for their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position.
- Teacher candidates with a background or experience in the data sciences or information technology are preferred.
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plans a program of study that meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students.
- Evaluates student progress on a regular basis and prepares progress reports.
- Instructs pupils in citizenship, basic communications skills and other general elements of the course of study common to all teachers, as specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the district.
- Provides individual, small, and/or large group instruction, whenever appropriate, in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of pupils with varying intellectual and special abilities.
- Instructs pupils in proper care and use of textbooks, equipment and materials.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to provide and orderly and productive environment.
- Selects and requisitions books, instructional materials, equipment, aids, and maintains required inventory records.
- Develops instructional plans and organizes class time to provide a balanced program of instruction
- Develops and maintains professional competence through participation in in-service education activities provided by the district and in self-selected professional growth activities.
- Supervises out-of classroom activities for pupils during the assigned working day, as required.
- Plans and coordinates the work of aides, teacher assistants, and other paraprofessionals.
- Identifies pupil’s needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Communicates with parents and pupil personnel staff members on the individual pupil’s progress and development.
- Maintains attendance accounting and business service as required.
- Develops and participates in the sponsorship of student activities and faculty committees.
- Acts as a resource person on an interdepartmental level to relate appropriate aspects of his/her subject area to other subject areas
- Works to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning the academic and behavioral progress of all assigned students.
REPORTS TO: PRINCIPAL
SALARY, TERMS & AFFILIATION
- Salary: $55,500-$104,550
- Employment Period: Ten (10) Months
- Union Affiliation: Newark Teachers Union (NTU)
HOW TO APPLY
The Newark Board of Education is only accepting electronic applications.
THE NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER