Dual Certified Biology & Special Education Teacher
- Under the general supervision of the School Principal,and Science Supervisor to develop students' skills and competence in one or more fields of secondary science, including general science, earth science, biology, physiology, chemistry, and physics; develops students skills and abilities in scientific methods and problem-solving, as well as an understanding of the application of science in the solution of practical problems.
- Teaches knowledge and skills in one or more fields of science, including general science, earth science, biology, physiology, chemistry, and physics, in accordance with district curriculum.
- Promotes critical and creative thinking and analysis in all related subject areas.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials for subject area, and translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Designs learning activities to demonstrate the application of science to everyday existence, including scientific research projects, demonstrations, experiments, and laboratory activities.
- Instructs students in the proper use and care of scientific equipment, chemicals, and plant and animal life.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment, maintains inventory records, and ensures equipment is in good working order.
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of a wide range of science subject areas, including general science, earth science, biology, physiology, chemistry, physics, and other related areas (e.g., mathematics).
- NJ State Certificatiion as a Secondary Science Teacher ie. Chemistry, Biology or Physics
- NJ State Certification Teacher of Student with Disabilities or Teacher of the Handicapped
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree preferred.
- Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.