Founded in 1878 by the Sisters of Saint Dominic, St. Dominic Academy is a Catholic, independent college preparatory day school of over 200 girls in grades 7-12. With its Jersey City, New Jersey location, St. Dominic Academy serves a highly diverse population from Hudson, Bergen, Union, and Essex counties.
We are looking to expand our program with innovative educators who are looking to make impact in an urban school. Come join a dedicated and united faculty whose passion is empowering learning and leadership in our student scholars.
Biological Science Teacher
-Strong background in life science, a passion for teaching and learning and working with high school students. (Biology).
-Strong background in physical sciences and chemistry - with a passion for teaching and learning with high school students (Chemistry)
-Readiness to teach in our innovative integrated science program with a significant laboratory component that stresses hands-on learning.
-Seek a creative science teacher who will be challenged and captivated by the possibilities building innovation, expansion, and growth in the science department
Biology Teacher - FT: 4 Sections including: Biology, Anatomy and Physiology and Environmental Science
Chemistry Teacher- FT 3 Sections of high school chemistry, 1 conceptual physics
- Embraces student-centered teaching practices, and plans and delivers stimulating and academically rigorous content that promotes successful learning.
- Employs a variety of teaching methods to engage a diverse set of learners with different backgrounds, experiences, and learning styles.
- Evaluates student performance through formative and summative assessment practices.
- Encourages an inclusive classroom that accepts the diverse perspectives of and backgrounds of the students as well as diverse learning styles.
- Understands how girls learn and uses this knowledge to guide instructional and curricular decisions.
- Serves as an advisor to a small group of students, supporting their social and emotional learning.
- Works collaboratively and professionally with colleagues, students, administrators, and families.
- Displays effective leadership skills.
- Ensures timely communication with families on issues concerning students’ learning needs.
- Maintains accurate student records such as grades and comments and communicate such data in accordance with the academic calendar and School expectations.
- Participates fully in the life of the School, including attending faculty meetings and in- service events.
- Performs other duties as assigned by, and in support of, the Administration.
- Engages in all aspects of the St. Dominic Academy community while promoting and supporting its mission, vision, and values.
- 2+ years teaching experience at the middle and/or high school level
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred (in related subject matter)
- Ability to demonstrate growth mindset, optimism, and belief that all students can excel
- Experience as a practitioner of diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in and outside of the classroom
- A commitment to girls’ education and to the Dominican charism
- Ability to make contributions to the St. Dominic Academy outside one’s academic department, including to club and mentoring programs, chaperoning events
- Highly collaborative and self-motivated
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills (oral and written), organizational, problem solving, and interpersonal skills
- Passion for teaching and learning
- Flexible to the evolving demands of a school
St. Dominic Academy does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, ethnic origin or sexual orientation in any of its employment policies. The school welcomes Catholics and non-Catholics who share in the educational objectives of the school and in the Dominican values to apply.
To apply, please submit a resume, any relevant certifications, and cover letter with a brief education philosophy.