The Calais School is a state-approved provider of special education for students with special needs. The school serves students in grades K – 12+ with multiple learning disabilities. It is our goal to help each and every child realize and build on their strengths and gifts. We are committed to cultivating the potential of every student, making a difference, one child at a time. Our employees know firsthand all the benefits of working for The Calais School and how we foster a culture of collaboration, teamwork, and the highest service and support to our students.
As a Job Coach/ Paraprofessional, you will provide additional support to Special Education students with life skills on job sites and community-based instruction.
Additional Responsibilities include:
• Assist with daily activities such as arrival/dismissal, classroom transition times, mealtimes, and recess.
• Monitor children to ensure a safe and effective learning environment.
• Assist with field trips and special activities.
• Chaperone and monitor students on bus trips to job sites.
• Accompany students on job sites and assist with soft-skills and technical job skills.
• Provide guidance to assure students adjust to job routine, follow instructions and adhere to rules and regulations.
• College, Associate's Degree or Higher
• Substitute Teacher Certification, required (we will assist you in attaining this if you do not already have it).
• Related job field work experience with demonstrated ability to work without constant supervision and an interest in special education.
Required Physical Skills:
• Ability to sit, stand, walk, ascend/descend stairs, use hands to finger, handle or feel; talk and hear;
• Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs unassisted;
• Must be able to demonstrate the appropriate CPI holds, or be able to learn the skills.