Special Education Teacher (TOSD/TOH)
Design, adapt and teach programs geared to each student's Individual Education Plan (IEP.) Teachers work as part of an interdisciplinary team with The Phoenix Center's behaviorists, social workers, counselors, employment specialists, occupational, physical and speech/language therapists.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Educational planning and implementing lessons based on student IEP's. Lessons should be developmentally appropriate, age-appropriate and must align with NJSLS (New Jersey Student Learning Standards) in the following areas:
Language (Receptive & Expressive) in conjunction with speech/language specialists.
Perception - the underlying visual and auditory perceptual skills that are related to academic achievement.
Motor development in conjunction with occupational and physical therapists.
Social/Emotional development in conjunction with school district psychologist.
Reading techniques, as related to decoding, comprehension and fluency.
Math techniques, as related to basic concepts, computational skills and practical application.
- Meeting and communicating with parents to report on educational progress at least two times a year. Daily communication via The Phoenix Center Communicator is also required.
- Working with and assisting in the supervision, instruction and evaluation of instructional paraprofessionals, and any student teachers assigned to them, as directed by their supervisor.
- Meet with child study teams during the course of the year to help determine the child's IEP, and to report on student achievement.
- Meeting with their student's related service providers so that they may appropriately reinforce in class those goals and activities designed by these specialists. Attend unit and Professional Learning Community Meetings (PLC).
- Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university with special education emphasis.
- NJDOE Certification as Teacher of Students with Disabilities and K-6 Elementary or Middle School Certificate, or Teacher of the Handicapped.
- Experience with individuals with autism and multiple disabilities a plus.
We are currently offering a $1,000 signing bonus!
You may use the APPLY button.
The Phoenix Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer