Bergen Center for Child Development / Haworth, NJ
NJ Approved Private School for Students with Disabilities. Serving students ages 5-21
( Student enrollment 20-25 students )
POSITION: Adaptive Physical Education and Health Teacher
PART-TIME: 3 days per week / 21 hours (Immediate vacancy)
HOURS: 7:45 am - 2:45 pm
YEAR: 2019-2020 School Year and ensuing years / Extended School Year also
The Physical Education Teacher is responsible for developing an adaptive physical education program based upon individual and group gross motor performance. Each class is designed to meet on a daily basis for thirty minutes. The physical education and health teacher is responsible for the development of long and short term objectives the Annual Instructional Guide and to report four times annually on the performance of each student and the methodology utilized.
Other responsibilities include:
- Provide adapted physical education services to students with intellectual disabilities, autism, traumatic brain injury, orthopedic impairments, or other disabling condition.
- Adapt instructional techniques to the age and skill levels of students.
- Instruct students, using adapted physical education techniques, to improve physical fitness, gross motor skills, perceptual motor skills, or sports and game achievement.
- Maintain thorough student records to document attendance, participation, or progress, ensuring confidentiality of all records.
- Assist in screening or placement of students in adapted physical education programs.
- Provide students positive feedback to encourage them and help them develop an appreciation for physical education.
- Assess students' physical progress or needs.
- Prepare lesson plans in accordance with individualized education plans (IEPs) and the functional abilities or needs of students.
- Establish and maintain standards of behavior to create safe, orderly, and effective environments for learning.
- Provide individual or small groups of students with adapted physical education instruction that meets desired physical needs or goals.
- Write or modify individualized education plans (IEPs) for students with intellectual or physical disabilities.
- Evaluate the motor needs of individual students to determine their need for adapted physical education services.
- Communicate behavioral observations and student progress reports to students, parents, teachers, or administrators.
- Write reports to summarize student performance, social growth, or physical development.
- Advise education professionals of students' physical abilities or disabilities and the accommodations required to enhance their school performance.
- Attend in-service training, workshops, or meetings to keep abreast of current practices or trends in adapted physical education.
- Review adapted physical education programs or practices to ensure compliance with government or other regulations.
- Request or order physical education equipment, following standard procedures.
- Maintain inventory of instructional equipment, materials, or aids.
- NJ Certification in Health and Physical education
- Minimum of 3 years experience required
- Criminal Background Check - Clearance
- Drug Screening - Clearance
PAY SCALE: Negotiable / Per Board of Trustees & Executive Director
PROCEDURES: Please e-mail Cover Letter, Resume & Certifications to: