Beginning July 1, 2019.
TITLE: Sign Language Interpreter
QUALIFICATIONS: 1. High School Diploma or GED
- 2. College classes in ASL and Interpretation
- Certificate as Sign Language Interpreter
- Must be able to interpret/translate ASL accurately in both the expressive and the receptive domains
- General knowledge of language development and child development
- Knowledge of deaf culture and ability to interact with the deaf students, parents and community
- One year of interpreting preferred
REPORTS TO: Principal
JOB GOALS: To interpret for hearing impaired students in the educational setting. To provide interpretation services for the hearing impaired students, their families and administration.
- Interpret classroom, administrative and social interaction as appropriate for students and staff
- Provide voice to sign (expressive) and sign to voice (receptive) interpreting ASL
- Prepare and utilize sign vocabulary specific to each class as needed
- Use sign system for each student as designed by the supervisor
- Continuously model correct interpreter / student roles
- Provide tutorial assistance to the deaf/hard-of-hearing students when directed by principal
- Establish effective working relationships with co-workers and administrative staff; demonstrate and maintain positive interpersonal relations
- Continue to improve sign competencies through attendance at workshops and maintain appropriate CEU’s for re-certification
- Comply with the New Jersey for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing code of ethics
- Assist classroom teachers as needed
- Attend staff meetings
- Perform other duties as assigned
Terms of Employment: Ten-month year.
Salary: Commensurate with credentials and experience – while following the negotiated contract
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel.
You may use the APPLY button.