Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is seeking a dynamic, mission-aligned educator to join our team as a Middle School - English Language Arts Teacher to teach 5th, 6th, 7th, or 8th grade for the (2022-23) academic year.
Our Middle School - English Language Arts Teachers are an integral part of our school-based instructional team and report to the School Director(s), with regular coaching and support from our instructional coaches and DCIs.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Teachers at Great Oaks Legacy Charter School are responsible for preparing each of our students for college success through rigorous instruction and maintaining consistently high expectations. Teachers are models of the hard work, desire for learning, and character that we expect of our students.
Our teachers' essential duties and responsibilities include:
1) Curriculum & Instruction
- Demonstrating solid content knowledge and understanding of the content matter.
- Establishing, communicating, and demanding high expectations for student learning, and quality of work.
- Using a multitude of instructional strategies and activities that are academically rigorous and highly engaging.
- Executing detailed lesson plans mapped to a year-long academic plan to address learning needs.
- Constantly working to respond to the students’ learning needs.
- Consistently sending the message that this work is important, that the student can do it, and that you will not give up on a student.
- Track and analyze student data to identify student learning needs and set ambitious, attainable goals for student progress.
- Planning and implementing strategies to achieve targets related to student learning outcomes.
- Working collaboratively with the School Director and other teachers to develop and revise curriculum based on assessment data.
3) Classroom Environment
- Building relationships with students that demonstrate an open concern and a sense of responsibility for students’ academic and personal growth.
- Maintaining an efficient, respectful and positive tone in your classroom.
- Utilizing time to maximize student learning and communicating a constant, tangible sense of urgency.
- Ensuring that all students are on task at all times during a lesson.
- Clearly enforcing and emphasizing school rules, values and expectations.
- Supervising students during lunch and transition periods.
4) Additional Responsibilities
- Utilizing your skills, talents, and effort to contribute to student and school success.
- Independently assuming additional responsibilities when necessary and demonstrating leadership.
- Making frequent phone calls, keeping parents informed of successes and struggles.
- Maintaining an orderly school culture.
- Attending professional development sessions.
- Other duties that may be necessary to fulfill the mission of the school.
- Relentless work ethic.
- Belief that all students have what it takes to be successful.
- Bachelor's degree from a competitive college or university. GPA must meet minimum requirements for NJ DOE certification.
- Demonstrated mastery of content knowledge and ability to drive student growth.
- Prior teaching experience in an urban No Excuses school setting strongly preferred.
- Extremely strong classroom management abilities.
- Evidence of NJ Department of Education certification (CE/CEAS/Provisional/Standard) or out of state certification.
- Experience developing curriculum or potential to lead curricular development is strongly preferred.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package, including:
- Robust medical, dental, and vision insurance plans w/ comprehensive network coverage.
- Up to $5,250 per year in tax exempt student loan and tuition reimbursement.
- Reimbursements for external professional development aligned to your role.
- Wellness reimbursements including gym memberships, spa services, and more.
- Online counseling services - for staff and their dependents - via top-rated therapy app.
- Pre-tax state pension plan benefit w/ addl. options available via voluntary retirement plans.
- Pre-tax dependent care, health, and transit flexible spending plans available.
- Convenient health screening and telemedicine support via VitalCheck Wellness platform.
ABOUT GREAT OAKS LEGACY CHARTER SCHOOL
The Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is a high-performing, innovative charter public school in Newark NJ, serving students from Pre-K to 12th grade on campuses across the city of Newark. Our mission is to prepare Newark’s students for success in college and beyond.
Our model is based on the following guiding principles that guide our work daily –
- Creating a community that is built upon genuine and meaningful relationships. GOLCS staff rate our commitment to students as the #1 reason they teach/work at our schools.
- Being surgical in our approach to differentiation of instruction and support for all students and team members. Our students receive daily tutoring embedded into their school schedule - facilitated by our AmeriCorps team members. Staff members receive individualized coaching and support in their roles.
- Setting and exceeding high expectations for academic growth and character development for all students, in preparation for success in college and beyond. Currently, the historical college matriculation rate for GOLCS is 79% - nearly twice the national average for economically underrepresented students.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, & ACCESSIBILITY
GOLCS is committed to building a talented team that reflects the diverse backgrounds and experiences of our students. Furthermore, we believe that racial justice and equity is critical to our mission of preparing students for success in college and beyond. We strive to be an organization that is diverse, equitable, inclusive, and elevates our student voices in preparing them for life and college.
GOLCS VACCINATION POLICY & COMMITMENT TO SAFETY
Great Oaks Legacy Charter School is committed to ensuring healthy and safe working and learning environments, and maintaining our educational commitment to GOLCS students and families - with minimal disruption to instruction. With this in mind, as of October 2021, Great Oaks Legacy requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees. Candidates who would like to apply for a reasonable accommodation from this policy based on a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief should reach out to HR@greatoakslegacy.org for more information.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
Great Oaks Legacy provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.