- High School Diploma
- High moral character
- A genuine interest in children and youth
- A desire to serve the school and community
- An understanding of a belief in the role of a teacher aide
- Evidence of good health, vitality and enthusiasm
- Effective written and oral expression
- NJ Criminal History Background check
- Current NJ Substitute Certification preferred, but not required
REPORTS TO: Teacher, Program Coordinator, Principal, Director
JOB GOALS: The teacher aide assists teachers and other members of the professional staff in implementing the goals and objectives of the school district approved by the Board of Education. The teacher aide shall perform the duties assigned by the Superintendent under the direction and supervision of designated members of the professional staff.
- Assist in the arrival and dismissal of children
- Attend to the personal needs of the children whenever necessary, including, but not limited to, toileting, feeding and cleaning activities
- Assist in art, physical education, home economics and other ancillary services, under the direction of the appropriate special teachers.
- Work with individuals or small groups not directly under instruction of the teacher.
- Prepare and duplicate materials needed for instruction
- Assist children when traveling from place to place
- Accompany children on field trips
- Assist with recreational activities
- Assist children in basic daily routines
- Assist in the lunch time activities which may include feeding of some children
- Care for audio-visual equipment, including projectors, record players, screens, film strips, puzzles, games, and other materials
- Assist in planning and arranging bulletin board materials
- Keep accurate records, relating to classroom management. This includes attendance, financial records, developmental records for each child, notes relating to patterns of function which deviate from the normal, other records as assigned by the teacher or program director
- See that students never leave assigned area without proper permission and/or supervision:
- Remain constantly alert and vigilant to any student assigned to your immediate supervision
- Report immediately any student for whom you are unable to account
- Aid in implementation of students’ program in assigned classroom as appropriate.
- Under the guidance of the classroom teacher, carries out educational programs to meet the students’ individual needs and goals
- Under the guidance of the classroom teacher, completes all assigned reports correctly and on time
- Under the guidance of the classroom teacher, reviews all pertinent information concerning students in assigned classrooms
- Keep assigned students safe from injury, harm, unnecessary illness or other unnecessary discomfort.
- When objects or materials which present an obvious danger to your students are removed from an occupied area when not in use and/or under direct employee supervision
- When any abnormality discovered is referred immediately to your classroom teacher
- When all protective equipment (helmet, safety straps, wheelchair ties, etc.) are used properly and any needed repairs are reported to the classroom teacher
- Assigned students are properly clothed at all times
- Immediately correct any hazardous conditions noticed, or, if unable to do so, report the problem to the classroom teacher
- See that all appropriate therapeutic equipment (special chairs, positioning equipment, etc.) are used properly
- See that assigned classroom floors are free from toys and spills, and perform any household chores as may be required to maintain the comfort and safety of students. Se that toys and other equipment are properly stored when not in use.
- See that you observe proper safety precautions to avoid accident and injury to both yourself and/or students.
- Use proper methods for lifting and other student care to avoid injury
- Report to your classroom teacher any needed repairs
- Maintain equipment in accordance with established procedures
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the teacher, program coordinator, principal or Superintendent.
Terms of Employment: Ten-month year. Salary and work year to be according to current contract.
You may use the APPLY button.