QUALIFICATIONS: Associate Degree Desired; however, Classroom Aides who are employed through Title I funding shall possess a high school diploma together with an Associate’s Degree, or complete forty-eight (48) or more college credits, or passed the appropriate state test.
REPORTS TO: Principal and/or his/her designee, or the Director of Early Childhood and Federal/State Programs, if employed through Title I funding.
JOB GOAL: The responsibilities and duties of the classroom aide are many and varied for all classifications, including those employed to work in our regular school programs. The aide is to assist the professional staff in achieving educational objectives by working with individual students or small groups to help them achieve the skill levels of the class as a whole.
Under the direction of the school administration, classroom aides shall perform such duties as may be assigned.
1. Administers and records such achievement and diagnostic tests as the professional staff recommends for individual students.
2. Works with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of material or skills initially introduced by staff members.
3. Assists the teaching staff in devising special strategies for reinforcing material or skills based on a sympathetic understanding of individual students, their needs, interests and abilities.
4. Guides independent study, enrichment work, and remedial work set up and assigned by the teaching staff.
5. Checks notebooks and supervises testing and make-up work, as assigned by the teaching staff.
6. Assists with such large group activities as drill work, reading aloud, and story telling.
7. Serves as the chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of a regular teacher.
8. Alerts the regular teacher to any problem or special information about an individual student.
9. Maintains the same high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students as is expected of the fully licensed teaching staff.
10. Participates in in-service training programs, as assigned by the administration.
11. Operates and cares for equipment used in the classroom for instructional purposes.
12. Assists with the supervision of students during emergency drills, assemblies, play periods, and field trips.
13. Assists with general classroom routines under the supervision of the teaching staff.
14. Performs such other duties as directed by the administration.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Ten month work year with salary at the appropriate step of the salary guide as established by the Board of Education.