TITLE: SCHOOL NURSE (Instructional/Non-Instructional)
QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Valid New Jersey School Nurse Certificate
2. Demonstrated expertise in school health nursing practice and
3. Knowledge of child growth and development,
community and family dynamics, current health
issues, and wellness educatio
4. Knowledge of community health and social
services resources and ability to communicate
effectively with nonschool health professionals
and social service agencies
5. Required criminal history background check and
proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien
REPORTS TO: Principal and Superintendent of Schools
JOB GOAL: To promote health and safety in the school
environment and provide health services to
students, faculty and staff; to assist with the
teaching of sound health practices.
- Works in cooperation with the school physician, other school health professionals (e.g. dentist, noncertified nurses, optometrist), members of the staff, parents and community health professionals to ensure healthy school climate and to minimize absence due to illness.
- Conducts health services and screening programs as required by law and/or board policies.
- Schedules and supervises health surveys of students and staff. Assists the school physician with physical examinations; makes referrals and conducts follow-up activities as necessary.
- Provides emergency care in case of sudden illness and administers first-aid in case of injury to students or staff according to established policies and procedures. Is responsible for the availability and maintenance of required medical supplies and equipment.
- Maintains up-to-date health records on all students; maintains separate records of immunizations for the purpose of immunization record auditor and ensures their confidentiality.
- Helps prevent and control communicable disease through lectures, inspections, exclusion and re-admission of students and staff in keeping with state and local health regulations and school policies.
- Notifies principal or his/her designee to arrange for immediate examination of any pupil who appears to be under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Confers with and advises students, parents, and staff members on matters pertaining to the health and safety of students. Participates in the development and implementation of the district’s emergency and crisis management plan.
- Assists the principal and the child study team in the identification and placement of students with disabilities who need special education services.
- Participates in the development of a comprehensive health education curriculum and serves as a health/safety education resource person to teachers. Upon request, assists teachers with instruction of certain health units.
- Promotes healthy/safe school environment by assisting the administration and staff to maintain safe and sanitary conditions throughout the school. Reports problems promptly to the principal.
- Administers prescribed medication to students in accordance with law and board policy. Provides training and supervision of the emergency administration of epinephrine for designated school staff.
- Collaborates with community and other nonschool health agencies to meet the health needs of children and families.
- Provides special health care and related services to meet the needs of students with disabilities.
- Assists the principal with the preparation of the school's health budget.
- Maintains professional competence through inservice education and participation in other professional development activities. Receives training in the treatment of asthma and maintains a valid current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation certificate as required by law and administrative code.
- Assists in the development of policies and procedures for comprehensive health education and services.
- Prepares health and safety reports as required by law and/or requested by the principal.
- Reports any suspicion of child abuse to the Division of Youth and Family Services and building principal or his/her designee.
- Performs such other appropriate duties as required under law or as may be assigned by the principal or student personnel services director.
You may use the APPLY button