JOB TITLE: Teacher of Social Studies
REPORT TO: Principal
SUMMARY: Social Studies teachers provide instructional leadership in the classroom in accordance with the course of study approved by the Board of Education approved curriculum. Teachers are responsible for maximizing the academic progress of the students they teach, working with colleagues to participate fully in the development of the department.Social Studies teachers promote a positive,purposeful and professional working atmosphere that encourages cooperation and challenge while valuing the contribution that individuals make to the success of M.E.T.S. Charter School
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- Current New Jersey Certification in Social Studies
- Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Strong background in teaching strategies, educational research and analytic skills.
- Familiar with NJ state standards in relevant grade and subject areas.
- Ability to meet deadlines and to work with limited oversight.
- Proficient in technology / use of computers and web-based applications
- Passion for teaching and commitment to educating the whole child
- A high level of professionalism and consideration of the well-being of children
- Hire subject to Background Check and Manitou Test.
- Plans a program of study that meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students.
- Evaluates student progress on a regular basis and prepares progress reports.
- Instructs pupils in citizenship, basic communications skills and other general elements of the course of study common to all teachers, as specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the district.
- Provides individual, small, and/or large group instruction, whenever appropriate, in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of pupils with varying intellectual and special abilities.
- Instructs pupils in proper care and use of textbooks, equipment and materials.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to provide and orderly and productive environment.
- Selects and requisitions books, instructional materials, equipment, aids, and maintains required inventory records.
- Develops instructional plans and organizes class time to provide a balanced program of instruction
- Develops and maintains professional competence through participation in in-service education activities provided by the district and in self-selected professional growth activities.
- Supervises out-of classroom activities for pupils during the assigned working day, as required.
- Plans and coordinates the work of aides, teacher assistants, and other paraprofessionals.
- Identifies pupil’s needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Communicates with parents and pupil personnel staff members on the individual pupil’s progress and development.
- Maintains attendance accounting and business service as required.
- Develops and participates in the sponsorship of student activities and faculty committees.
- Acts as a resource person on an interdepartmental level to relate appropriate aspects of his/her subject area to other subject areas
- Works to establish and maintain open lines on communication with students and their parents concerning the academic and behavioral progress of all assigned students.
- Engages in professional development activities, which enhances instructional practices.
- Participates in appropriate building and district meetings.
- Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.