QUALIFICATIONS: Certified by the State Board of Examiners in the State of New Jersey
REPORTS TO: Principal and/or his/her designee
JOB GOALS: To provide all students with an enriched library environment containing a wide variety and range of materials that will invite intellectual growth, and to aid all students in acquiring the skills needed to take full advantage of library resources.
- Operates and supervises the library to which assigned.
- Evaluates, selects, and requisitions new library materials with the approval of the building principal.
- Assists teachers in the selection of books and other instructional materials, and makes library materials available to supplement the instructional program.
- Informs teachers and other staff members concerning new materials the library acquires.
- Maintains a comprehensive and efficient system for cataloging all library materials, and instructs teachers and students on use of the system.
- Works with teachers in planning those assignments likely to lead to extended use of library resources when such help is requested.
- Encourages students to maintain standards of library/media center behavior and self-discipline appropriate to learning and in compliance with school district policy.
- Helps students to develop habits of independent reference work and to develop skill in the use of reference materials in relation to planned assignments.
- Presents and discusses materials with a class studying a particular topic, on the invitation of the teacher.
- Counsels with and gives help with the selection of materials to students who have special reading problems or unusual intellectual interests.
- Arranges frequently changing book-related displays and exhibits likely to interest the library’s patrons.
- Prepares and administers the library budget in consultation with the building principal.
- Supervises student library aides in the performance of their duties.
- Removes obsolete and worn materials from the collections, according to district policy.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to interpret the school’s library/media program.
- Implements by instruction and action the district’s instructional goals and objectives established and approved by both local and State Boards of Education in accordance with state educational laws to ensure optimum student progress.
- Takes necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Attends and participates in faculty meetings and fulfills required duties.
- Cooperates in the development of a working relationship with all members of the faculty and other members of the school community.
- Participates in the construction and development of curriculum guides appropriate to one’s academic discipline.
- Maintains a level of professional competence appropriate to the specific area of certification, assignment, and matters of general educational importance.
- Performs other related professional duties as required.
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel.