Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
In our District, we put students first. Our vision: all Camden students will attend a high-quality school where they are valued, challenged, and prepared for college and careers that positively impact their community and the world. High-quality schools have a great teacher in every classroom, are housed in safe, clean buildings equipped to meet the needs of 21st century learners, with the support of an efficient and effective Central Office. All this is possible only with the right team members in place, working together with partners and the community to provide all students the academic, social, and emotional supports needed to succeed in school and beyond. Read more here.
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested candidates to apply for the position of Lead Educator.
ROLE OVERVIEW: The Lead Educator will work closely with School Leaders and other senior district officials to ensure that students receive outstanding instruction in the classroom. The Lead Educator holds a critical position as an instructional and evaluative leader in schools and will work closely with various central office departments to ensure all school-based staff and students are set up for success. The Lead Educator will serve as a key district leader and will be responsible for making the Superintendent’s instructional vision for change a reality at the school level in alignment with the district’s strategic plan.
- Master’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Valid Principal’s Certificate
- At least 5 years of successful teaching experience in a PreK-12 setting with demonstrated student achievement gains
- Track record of success with consistently producing dramatic student achievement gains in the classroom
- At least 2 years of experience in a school-based or central office leadership role focused on instructional leadership, curriculum, professional development, coaching, and/or evaluation with demonstrated results of strong performance in the role
- History of effectively coaching both new and experienced teachers towards improving their ability to deliver outstanding instruction
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups and effectively communicate, both orally and in writing
- Effective summative performance evaluation rating for the current or most recent school-based position
- Comfort and fluency with the Microsoft Office suite and entering data into online software systems
- Track record and experience with data-driven decision-making, grounded in the use of staff performance and student achievement data
- A valid driver’s license as well as current insurance and vehicle with valid registration
- Required criminal history background check, physical and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal right to work in the U.S.
- Bilingual candidates preferred
- Experience working with low-income students in an urban school
- Experience with teaching specific student populations, as demonstrated by
- Teacher of Students with Disabilities (TOSD) endorsement or Teacher of Handicapped Certificate and 3 years of successful teaching experience of students with disabilities; or
- Bilingual endorsement or bilingual fluency, combined with 3 years of successful teaching experience with bilingual students; or
- 3 years of successful teaching experience with students enrolled in an alternative education setting with demonstrated academic outcomes for this at risk population.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
Major roles and responsibilities include:
- Supports Principal to train, manage, supervise, and coach school-based staff with a focus on providing actionable, concrete feedback
- Evaluates the progress of all school-based staff in accordance with state and district approved models and procedures
- Collects, analyzes, shares and uses data to drive school-wide academic progress
- Monitors, supports, and develops staff instructional learning experiences through targeted, results-oriented professional development experiences
- Ensures the CCSD-aligned model curriculum is implemented with fidelity
- Works with Principal and teachers to develop, manage and implement school level and individual performance goals
- Assists Principals with review of lesson and unit plans
- Supports Principals in drafting and implementing School Improvement Plans as needed
- Collaborates with other central office staff to align resources and interventions on evaluation and coaching of instructional staff
Evaluative and Coaching Leadership
- Supports Principal, the Office of School Support and the Office of Evaluation with accurate, rigorous, and high-quality implementation of the Charlotte Danielson Framework for Teaching Evaluation Model
- Maintains detailed observation records, assesses teacher performance accurately based on evidence collected in alignment with rubric rating profiles and clearly captures areas of strength and growth during each observation
- Provides focused, timely, and rigorous post observation feedback
- Guides and informs the crafting and communication of district-wide professional development strategy and priorities in alignment with CCSD’s instructional vision in close collaboration with the Office of School Support and other senior district leaders
- Collaborates with fellow Office of School Support colleagues and other senior district leaders to develop a coherent framework and approach for coaching instructional staff to improve their performance
- Provides frequent, non-evaluative observation and coaching outside of the formal evaluation system
- Provides model lessons when necessary and runs individual or small group professional development for teachers focused on instructional growth areas including (but not limited to): instructional planning, content delivery, maximizing instructional time, and building a positive classroom community
- Conducts building-wide professional development for teachers
- Implements innovative best in field strategies for coaching and job-embedded individualized professional development for teachers aligned with development areas identified through the evaluation process, including modeling, practice, role plays, cueing, and other high-impact approaches aimed towards rapidly improving the quality of instruction
- Supports the Principal in implementing progressive intervention, drafting corrective action plans, and holding teachers accountable to rapidly improve performance
- Ensures that all teachers have high quality student growth objectives (SGOs)
- Plays an active role in participating in and/or facilitating school-specific and district-wide evaluation committees including School Improvement Panels (SIPs) and the District Evaluation Advisory Committee (DEAC)
- Will be required to support projects and initiatives in other divisions and departments throughout CCSD on an as-needed basis
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Supervisor’s designee
An ideal candidate for this role will demonstrate the following and/or have experiences with:
- Commitment to the success of all Camden students and specifically to raising the academic achievement of children in high- poverty communities
- Demonstrated ability to develop a vision and inspire others to achieve shared goals
- Superior management skills, including influencing and motivating others to achieve outstanding results
- Candor: comfort leading difficult conversations with adults, guided by making decisions that are in the best interests of students and families
- Coaching teachers on classroom management skills, using instructional time effectively and setting clear academic and behavioral expectations for students
- Managing towards outcomes and ambitious goals despite significant obstacles
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to build and cultivate relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Desire to grow professionally and seek out new opportunities to learn
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Flexible, optimistic approach; comfortable with change and ambiguity
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and take initiative
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and achievement-oriented environment
- Demonstrated ability to analyze data effectively
- Willingness to go above and beyond to contribute to the success of a dynamic team committed to a new future for urban education
- Fluency in all Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and basic Web browsers and searches
We are seeking individuals who will exemplify the district’s core values:
Respect and Humility: We serve our community by recognizing the strengths, experiences, and perspectives of others. We humbly recognize our own limitations and incorporate lessons we gain from our reflective practice.
Evidence-based: We use evidence to inform decisions and to ensure that we are accountable to our students and families.
Communication & Collaboration: We communicate openly and work collaboratively, recognizing that getting to the best possible decisions requires input from others. Honest communications build trust and establish a community that assumes best intentions.
Solutions-oriented: With respect for the complexity of this work and the history that precedes us, we focus on persistence, resourcefulness, and inclusiveness to drive toward solutions.
REPORTS TO AND EVALUATED BY Deputy Superintendent or designee
SALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD, AND UNION AFFILIATION Salary Range:
- Camden City Principal and Supervisor Association (CCPSA) Salary Guide
- Twelve-month, tenureable position
THE CAMDEN CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
- Camden City Principal and Supervisor Association
(Pending availability of funds and Superintendent’s approval)
- Full medical, dental, prescription and vision coverage, including spouse, child and family coverage
- Mandatory enrollment in NJ Pension (TPAF)
- Optional pre-tax benefits available, including flexible spending accounts for childcare, healthcare and transportation
Type of Job (K-12 or Higher Ed.)