This Deputy Chief Academic Officer (DCAO) roles is responsible for overseeing science, technology, engineering and math programming (STEM). This role serves as a senior instructional leader and driver in the ongoing development and improvement of Mastery’s academic model. The Deputy Chief supports Mastery’s short and long term academic strategies by managing projects identified as high priority to our schools or to the improvement of our model. Responsibilities include: leading new program innovations and initiatives; program design and development; curriculum and assessment strategy; teacher professional development; and leadership training. The Deputy Chief works closely the Regional Schools Team and school leaders to ensure the effective implementation of the program model. This role manages a team of content Directors, and reports directly to the Chief Academic Officer.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Directly supervise STEM content Directors, aligned to a shared vision for instructional excellence.
- Lead special projects to address high priority network needs; projects may include STEM programming, math remediation & intervention strategy, school scheduling, and student supports.
- Develop trainings for school leaders and teaching staff to ensure the effective implementation of the program model and their professional efficacy.
- Ensure program model is effective at the school level by creating systems to monitor program success, solicit school leader feedback, and project-manage innovation pilots.
- Facilitate school leader professional development, team meetings, and other trainings with network leaders.
- Collaborate with the Chief Academic Officer (CAO) and other academic team members on an ongoing basis to improve Mastery’s systems and model.
- Strategic Thinker – able to prioritize and think in terms of systems and scale.
- Project Manager – a wizard at implementation and planning; can take complex problems and break them down to implementable steps.
- Multi-Tasker – able to manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Organized and Execution Obsessed – focused on execution and quality.
- Smart – solid analytical skills.
- Resilient and Adaptable – doesn’t get stuck by obstacles and resource constraints.
- Flexible – the job will change and morph as the organization changes and needs shift.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional education experience in curricula and assessment, instruction, and school programming
- Strong knowledge of effective teaching methods and intervention strategies
- Familiarity with Common Core Standards, PA State standards as well as ACT and AP programs
- Familiarity with common national education programs and products
- A proven track record of achieving measurable results
- Significant experience managing and leading a large team to meet aggressive goals
- Unwavering commitment to students’ success and belief in Mastery Schools’ mission