Basic Skills Teacher K-6
BASIC FUNCTION (the primary purpose of this position):
Under the general supervision of the School Leader, the primary role of the Basic Skills Instructor is to facilitate student success and academic growth by serving as a remedial resource instructor to improve students' achievement in reading, writing and mathematics by implementing district-approved remedial reading, writing and mathematics curricula and programs. The Basic Skills Instructor will plan students' programs of study that meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of students. The Basic Skills Instructor will provide feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, goals, etc.
PRINCIPAL ACTIVITIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Effectively organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement, and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms with PAC standards and policies, and establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Effectively coordinates with other elementary professional staff members, especially within grade level, to evaluate and assess curriculum and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids, and other supplies and equipment and maintain inventory records.
- Supervises students in activities that take place out of the classroom during the school day, including activities involving school transportation.
- Administers standardized tests in accordance with PAC testing programs and curriculum.
- Extracts and analyzes student academic achievement data from Performance Matters, DIBELS, Star and iReady.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to organize multiple tasks and conflicting time constraints.
- Demonstrated success analyzing student achievement data and closing the achievement/opportunity gap.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted during work.
- Ability to plan and design differentiated, data driven instruction.
- Experience designing individual student improvement plans (ISIPs) preferred.
POSITION REQUIREMENTS: (objective educational or technical training required; skills; and years of experience):
- Bachelor’s Degree Required
- New Jersey State Teaching Certification as required for the position.
- Strong commitment to the mission and vision of the Principle Academy Charter.
- The firm belief in the ability of all students to achieve at high levels, and high expectations for young scholars to become college-ready
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong literacy background