The success of athletics programs has a strong influence on the community's image of the entire school system. This public exposure is a considerable responsibility and community/peer/parent pressure for winning is taxing, but must not override the objectives of good sportsmanship and good mental health. The Head Coach position includes other aspects such as extended time, risk, injury factor and due process predicaments. It is the express intent of this job description to give sufficient guidance to function. In cases not specifically covered, it shall be assumed that a Head Coach shall exercise common sense and good judgment.
SPRING SEASON POSITIONS:
- Head Softball Coach
- Head Baseball Coach
- Head Girls Lacrosse Coach
- Head Boys Lacrosse Coach
- Head Boys Volleyball Coach
- Head Outdoor Track Coach
- Head ESports Coach
Successfully supervise and instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, students shall receive instruction that will lead to the formulation of moral values, pride of accomplishment, acceptable social behavior, self-discipline and self-confidence.
Athletics Director who provides overall objectives and final evaluation in conjunction with the High School Principal
- Has a thorough knowledge of all athletic policies approved by the Hoboken Board of Education and is responsible for their implementation by the entire staff of the sports program.
- Has knowledge of existing system, state and league regulations; implements same consistently and interprets them for staff.
- Understands the proper chain of command and refers all requests or grievances through proper channels.
- Attends all public/state/conference/staff/departmental meetings as required.
- Maintains necessary certification per HBOE, HCIAL and NJSIAA regulations.
- Develops and implements both in-season and out-of-season conditioning and/or weight training programs in conjunction with strength and conditioning coach(es). Also plans, develops and implements summer activities to enhance the sports program.
- Establishes the fundamental philosophy, skills and techniques to be taught by staff. Designs conferences, clinics and/or staff meetings to ensure staff awareness of overall program.
- Trains and informs staff and encourages professional growth by encouraging clinic attendance according to policy.
- Delegates specific duties, supervises implementation; and at season's end, analyzes staff effectiveness and evaluates assistants with the Athletics Director.
- Maintains discipline, adjusts grievances and works to increase morale and cooperation.
- Performs such other duties that may be assigned by the Athletics Director and/ or Principal.
- Assists the Athletics Director in scheduling, providing a transportation schedule, and requirements for tournaments and special events.
- Assists in the necessary preparation to hold scheduled events or practices, and adheres to scheduled facility times. Coordinates program with maintenance and school employees.
- Provides documentation to fulfill state and system requirements concerning physical examinations, parental consent, eligibility and codes of conduct.
- Provides proper safeguards for maintenance and protection of equipment and storage facilities in conjunction with Equipment Manager.
- Assists in the administration of seasonal sports physicals as needed.
- Advises the Athletics Director and recommends policy, method or procedural changes.
- Provides training rules and any other unique regulations of the sport to each athlete.
- Gives constant attention to a student-athlete's grades and conduct.
- By his/her presence at all practices, games and while traveling, provides assistance, guidance and safeguards for each participant. If necessary, may transport athletes to events (practices and games) and receive reimbursement compensation for mileage.
- Initiates programs and policies concerning injuries, medical attention and emergencies.
- Completes paperwork on all athletic injuries on proper forms and submits to athletic trainer within 24 hours.
- Directs assistant coaches, paraprofessional aides, student-managers and statisticians.
- Determines discipline, delineates procedures concerning due process when the enforcement of discipline is necessary and contacts parents when a student is dropped or becomes ineligible.
- Assists athletes in their college and advanced educational selection.
- Participates in the budgeting function with the Athletics Director by establishing requirements for next season. In conjunction with the Equipment Manager, recommends equipment guidelines as to type, style, color or technical specifications. Is responsible for operating within budget appropriations.
- Is accountable for all equipment and collects the cost of any equipment lost or not returned. Arranges for issuing, storing and reconditioning of equipment and submits annual inventory and athlete obligations to Athletics Director.
- Properly marks and identifies all equipment before issuing or storing.
- Monitors equipment rooms and coaches' offices, and authorizes who may enter, issue or requisition equipment.
- Permits athletes to be in only authorized areas of the building at appropriate times.
- Secures all doors, alarms, lights, windows and locks before leaving the building.
- Instills in each player a respect for equipment and school property, its care and proper use.
- Examines locker rooms before and after practices and games, checking on general cleanliness of the facility. Responsible for cleanliness and maintenance of specific sport equipment.
- Organizes parents, coaches, players and guests for pre-season meeting.
- Promotes the sport within the school through recruiting athletes that are not in another sport program, and promotes the sport outside the school through news media, athletics department website, recreation programs and any other feasible manner.
- Responsible for the quality, effectiveness and validity of any oral or written release to local media – including athletics department website articles.
- Responsible for maintaining good public relations with news media, parents, officials, volunteers and fans.
- Presents information to news media concerning schedules, tournaments and results.
- Is present for awards programs pertaining to the athletics department.
Hoboken High School has an athletics program with a rich history that has experienced tremendous success. Thus, we strive to field programs led by head coaches who:
- Are excellent role models and leaders; and/or
- Possess outstanding organizational and communications skills; and/or
- Competed and/or coached at a high level, preferably at the NCAA or professional level; and/or
- Understand the college recruiting process, including the NCAA Initial Eligibility Center; and/or
- Have experience coaching a championship level high school program; and/or
- Have a working knowledge of AAU/summer programs/off-season training programs.
In addition to meeting the above requirements, applicants MUST possess the following:
- New Jersey Teacher Certificate or County Substitute Teacher Certificate
- Ability to organize and supervise a total sports program
- Previous successful coaching experience in the assigned sport
- Substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport, and continued examination of pertinent new theories and procedures
- Ability to maintain a positive learning environment and high standards of conduct among athletes
- Criminal history background check
- Proof of US citizenship or legal resident alien status
Compensation per HEA contract or negotiated rate, payable upon completion of the spring sports season