Special Education Teacher
- Valid New Jersey Instructional Certificate and appropriate Special Education
Endorsement or eligibility/ Subject Matter Specialization: Mathematics Grade 5-8
- Minimum experience as determined by the board.
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective teaching methods and ability to
maintain a positive learning environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Required criminal history background check and proof of US citizenship or
legal resident alien status.
- Pass a physical examination in accordance with statue and board policy.
- Is highly qualified in at least one of the following content areas: ELA.\
Social Studies, Science, Math
Current New Jersey Teacher of the Handicapped or Teacher of
Students with Disabilities and K-5 Elementary Teacher
Reports to: Principal and/or Director of Special Services
Length of Contract: 10 month position
Job Goal: To provide an approved special education program and establish
a class environment that fosters learning and personal growth;
to help students to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed
to provide good foundation for continued education; and to maintain
good relationships with parents and other staff
- Provide instruction to classified students in accordance with each student’s individualized education program.
- Develop lesson plans and instructional materials and provide individualized and small group instruction to meet the needs of each student.
- Set specific objectives wherever possible in lesson preparation and weekly lesson plans and carry through presentation to effectively achieve these objectives.
- Work cooperatively with general education teaching staff.
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive learning environment.
- Maintain professional competence and continuous improvement through in-service education and other professional growth activities.
- Communicate with parents through conferences and other means to inform them about the school program and to discuss student progress.
- Identify student needs, and cooperate with other professional staff members in helping
students solve health, behavior and learning problems.
- Participate in curriculum development activities, faculty meetings and school level planning.
- Uphold and enforce school rules, administrative regulations and board policy.
- Perform other duties within the scope of his/her employment and certification as may