Chemistry Certification Dual Certification in Physics preferred
ACADEMIC INSTRUCTOR (MATH, LANGUAGE ARTS, SCIENCE, SOCIAL STUDIES, WORLD LANGUAGE)
- New Jersey Educational Services Certificate or Certificate of Eligibility required with the appropriate teaching endorsement in assigned curricular area (Math, Language Arts, Science, Social Studies, World Language).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education.
- Demonstrated knowledge of effective teaching methods and developmentally appropriate classroom activities.
- Ability to maintain a positive learning environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
- Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
REPORTS TO: Building Principal or other appropriately certified Supervisor as designated by the Superintendent.
JOB GOALS: To provide the fullest possible educational opportunity for each student by ensuring the integration of the Core Curriculum Content Standards in assigned curricular area.
- Remains current with new developments in subject matter content, teaching methods, instructional strategies, educational technology, and educational research in assigned subject area(s).
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques to motivate students and demonstrates an understanding of the psychological, societal and developmental needs of students.
- Develops daily lesson plans and instructional materials, adapts the curriculum, and plans a program of study to meet the individual needs, interests, and abilities of each student.
- Establishes standards of student behavior and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner in order to achieve a classroom environment that is conducive to learning.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and sets specific objectives wherever possible in lesson preparation and weekly lesson planning to achieve these objectives.
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis, maintains student records, and provides progress reports, as required.
- Identifies students’ needs and cooperates with other professional district specialists in assessing and resolving learning problems.
- Establishes positive communications with colleagues on a regular basis.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to inform them about the school programs and to discuss student progress.
- Upholds and enforces school rules, administrative regulations, and board policies.
- Assists in curriculum development and in the selection of textbooks, instructional equipment, and other instructional materials.
- Instructs, advises, supervises, and/or directs co-curricular activities, including, but not limited to, such activities as curriculum related programs, publications, students activities, and student organizations.
- Supervises student behavior in the hallways, breaks, and on school grounds for the safety and well being of students, staff and visitors.
- Provides scheduled academic area instruction to enhance student achievement in identified shared time Career and Technical Education programs.
- Participates in school level planning, professional development activities, faculty meetings and serves on staff committees, as required.
- Performs other duties within the scope of his/her employment and certifications as may be assigned by his/her supervisor(s) under the direction of the Superintendent of Schools and authority of the Board of Education.
- Creates a supportive environment; is a positive role model for students in speech, appearance, behavior and attitude; displays evidence of understanding social, emotional, physical and intellectual growth and development.
- Interprets course goals and objectives to help parents/guardians understand them.
- Implements required school regulations and administrative requests.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Ten (10) Month Year
Additional Responsibilities: Perform all other job related duties as assigned by the Superintendent, or his/her designee.
Evaluation of Performance: Performance of this position will be evaluated annually by the Principal in accordance with the New Jersey Administrative Code and Board of Education policies.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described in this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
The Mercer County Technical School District guarantees equal opportunities to all, regardless of race, color, age, creed, gender identity or expression, affectional or sexual orientation, ancestry, national origin, marital status, disability, nationality or sex.
Americans with Disabilities Act Statement: External and internal applicants, as well as employees who become disabled, must be able to perform the essential functions listed on this job description either unaided or with reasonable accommodations. The Mercer County Technical Schools’ Superintendent shall determine reasonable accommodations on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law; in the event such a determination becomes necessary.
Essential Functions Statement: I have read this job description and I certify that I meet all of the qualifications of the position and I can perform all of the essential functions of the position unaided or with accommodations.