*Applicants need to be aware that this position is contingent on mandates regarding class size and actual program enrollment. The positions will terminate when the classroom enrollment no longer requires an aide. Termination will be effective the Monday following the change in enrollment status
*Please note there are no benefits associated with this position
1. High School Diploma;
2. Evidence of ability to probide instructional and behavioral strategies;
3. Evidence of proficiency with special needs students;
4. Evidence of ability to work effectively with people in a group;
5. Familiarity with effective and appropriate discipline and student management techniques;
6. Required criminal history background check and proof os U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status;
7. Such alternatives to the above as the Board may deem appropriate
TITLE: PARAPROFESSIONAL – CLASSROOM (Special Education)
1. High School Diploma
2. Evidence of successful experience working with children
3. Evidence of the ability to work effectively with people in a group
4. Positive attitude, confidentiality, sense of humor and flexibility
5. Such alternatives to the above as the Board may deem acceptable
6. Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal
resident alien status;
7. Such alternatives to the above as the Board may deem appropriate.
Assigned Special Education Classroom Teacher and/or Administration
To assist the classroom teacher by working with individual and small groups of disabled students to provide them with physical help and emotional support as needed to gain optimum benefit from the district’s special education program.
- Assists in taking care of the physical needs of the special education pupil, including putting on and taking off outerwear, moving from room to room, and using the lavatory.
- Assists with individualized instruction and works with small groups of students under the supervision of the special education teacher to reinforce material initially introduced by the teacher.
- Assists, where appropriate, in loading and unloading the special education pupil from transportation buses or vans.
- Performs clerical duties, including attendance reports, collection of money, and return of notices to home, as assigned by the special education classroom teacher.
- Assists pupils with various projects, crafts, and curriculum tasks.
- Helps with the supervision of children on field trips planned by the teacher.
- Assists in playground supervision.
- Engages children in conversation to encourage language development.
- Aids physically handicapped children, particularly those who rely upon appliances and prosthetics.
- Helps very young students with their clothing, snack time routine, and toileting activities.
- Participates in inservice training as assigned.
- Performs other appropriate duties as assigned by the special education teacher or administrator directly related to a good learning experience for special education pupils.
Ten month position. Salary and benefits according to the Little Egg Harbor Township Support Staff Association negotiated agreement. Follows the School Calendar.
EVALUATION: Performance of the job will be evaluated annually by a building administrator.
APPROVED BY: Little Egg Harbor Township Board of Education
DATE: June 8, 1981
REVISED: July 20, 1992; May 22, 2000; October 15, 2007