JOB DESCRIPTION-ASSISTANT SCHOOL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATOR/ BOARD SECRETARY
- Possess a master's degree from an accredited college or university or and bachelor’s degree and a CPA license.
- Eligible for a certificate as a School Business Administrator issued by the New Jersey State Board of Examiners under rules and regulations prescribed by the State Board of Education.
- Exhibit an understanding of the principles and practices of financial accounting, including fund accounting, and reporting procedures consistent with statute, code and GAAP.
- The position requires at least three years of successful accounting experience in the above-mentioned areas, preferably in a public-school district.
- Experience with grants and grant reporting including federal and state grants.
- Experience in analyzing school district budgets to ensure effectiveness and
- Demonstrate organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in budget preparation and administration.
- Experience and expertise with Department of Education budget software.
- Has expertise and experience in the collection, management, and analysis of electronic data.
- Knowledge of purchasing requirements under 18 A: 18A.
- Knowledge of Board Secretary duties.
APPOINTMENT AND TENURE:
Appointment shall be made by the Board of Education upon the recommendation of the
Superintendent. Tenure shall be granted in accordance with state mandates. His/her performance shall be evaluated in a manner consistent with policies and procedures of the Board of Education.
CONTRACT AND SALARY:
The contract and salary for the position shall be negotiated with and approved by the
Board of Education.
The Assistant Business Administrator/Board Secretary shall report to the School Business Administrator/Board Secretary.
Assist in the administration of the district’s business affairs so as to provide the maximum services with the financial resources available, using a high degree of responsibility, discretion, confidentiality, and independent judgment for the smooth and efficient operation of the office.
- Experience in computerized accounting systems, spreadsheets and word processing.
- Ability to understand financial accounting issues and perform complex financial calculations.
- Ability to work independently with a high degree of accuracy and organization.
- Must be team oriented with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be willing to participate in ongoing in-service training as requested.
- Must maintain a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality of information as required by law.
DETAIL OF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain district accounting records in accordance with GASB and other regulations.
- Maintain district’s fixed asset inventory.
- Perform month end and fiscal year end procedures; including account reconciliation and analysis.
- Prepare monthly reports for Administration including the Board Secretary’s Report and Treasurer’s Report.
- Prepare other reports and analysis as requested.
- Assist in the preparation and ongoing monitoring of enterprise fund budgets and reporting requirements.
- Assist external auditors in the preparation of interim and year-end audits. This includes, but is not limited to, the preparation of supporting schedules, CAFR, Notes to the Financial Statements and Management Discussion and Analysis.
- Supervise the purchasing and accounts payable positions which requires an understanding of and the ability to research and apply Public School Contracts Law.
- Provide back-up support for payroll, purchasing, accounts payable and human resources activities, as needed.
- Prepare and reviews cash flow to ensure that sufficient funds are available to meet the current and near-term financial obligations of the district.
- Recommend and process transfers of funds between accounts to prevent deficits in said accounts.
- Process all district receipts and a variety of disbursements and reconciles to ledger accounts.
- Responsible for all financial aspects of district grants including budget preparation, monthly/annual account monitoring and reporting, management and tracking of staff hours against grant allocations, management of the allocation of funds between grants and district for staff benefits.
- Provide support for non-financial aspects of district grants as needed.
- Provide administrative oversight for all aspects of the School Nutrition Program in accordance with Department of Agriculture and USDA regulations.
- Assist in the preparation of the annual school budget, including budget presentations and DOE budget software.
- Prepare Requests for Proposal (RFP) and BID documents for goods and services.
- Responsible for the preparation and monitoring of the financial aspects of the district’s SEMI program.
- Work with Buildings and Grounds regarding facilities’ budgets, BIDs and M-1 preparation.
- Maintain the district’s Standard Operating Procedures and uphold internal controls.
- Exhibit respect and support for and adherence to goals, objectives, policies and procedures approved by the Board of Education.
- Share in the upholding and enforcing rules, administrative regulations and the policies of the Board of Education, State of NJ and other regulatory bodies.
- Performs other duties and projects as assigned by the School Business Administrator and/or Superintendent.
HUMAN RESOURCES MISSION STATEMENT:
This organization believes that every individual makes a significant contribution to Mercer County Special Services School District’s (MCSSSD) success. That contribution should not be limited to assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to define primary duties, qualifications and job scope but should not limit the incumbent nor the
organization to the work identified. It is our expectation that every employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of the District’s goals.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT STATEMENT:
External and internal applicants, as well as employees who become disabled, must be able to perform the essential functions listed on this job description either unaided or with reasonable accommodation. The Mercer County Special Services School District shall determine reasonable accommodation on a case-by-case basis in accordance with applicable law, in the event such a determination becomes necessary.