Deputy General Counsel
(Pending availability of funds and State Superintendent’s approval)
The State Superintendent invites qualified and interested candidates to apply for the position of Deputy General Counsel.
In our District, we put students first. Our vision: all Camden students will attend a high quality school where they are valued, challenged, and prepared for college and careers that positively impact their community and the world. High quality schools have a great teacher in every classroom, are housed in safe, clean buildings equipped to meet the needs of 21st century learners, with the support of an efficient and effective Central Office. All this is possible only with the right team members in place, working together with partners and the community to provide all students the academic, social, and emotional supports needed to succeed in school and beyond. Read more here.
The Deputy General Counsel will hold a critical senior leadership position and will work closely to set the vision and strategy for the Camden City School District.
- Juris Doctor, with license to practice law in the state and federal courts in New Jersey.
- Commitment to upholding the mandates and tenets of the New Jersey Rules of Professional Conduct for attorneys.
- At least 5 years of relevant legal experience in New Jersey education and school law.
- At least 3 years of experience representing and advising/counseling New Jersey school districts in all aspects of:
- Education and school law, including but not limited to, Public School Contracts Law, Open Public Meetings Act, Open Public Records Act, fiscal Accountability regulations, and special education.
- Public sector Labor and Employment Law, including but not limited to, contract formation, union negotiations, interpretation and administration of collective bargaining agreements, labor grievances, and school board policies.
- A valid driver’s license as well as current insurance and vehicle with valid registration.
- Required criminal history background check, physical and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
- Familiarity with the operations of State government, particularly the New Jersey Department of Education, and its various offices, including but not limited to, the Commissioner, Assistant Commissioners, Office of Fiscal Accountability and Compliance, Office of School Funding, State Board of Examiners, and Office of Licensure and Credentials.
- Practical knowledge of 18A statutes, 6A regulations, and utilization of the various tools and resources for education law research.
- Experience working in nonprofit, education, consulting and/or entrepreneurial sectors that serve low-income students and/or communities.
- Demonstrated experience leading complex change management efforts.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Major responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Executes all work of the Office of the General Counsel with quality, fidelity and accuracy in alignment with the vision and goals of the Camden City School District and Office of the General Counsel.
- Advises/counsels District leaders on all labor and employment related legal issues and policy formation.
- Assists the District in developing union contract proposals, and strategy for labor negotiations and participates in all labor negotiations.
- Conducts research and gathers documents to prepare for collective bargaining, contract administration and other functions pertaining to labor relations.
- Assists with the drafting and litigation of tenure charge matters.
- Advises/counsels on employee disciplinary actions and proceedings.
- Represents the District in federal, State, and administrative hearings and trials for labor and employment-related matters.
- Represents the Camden City School District at legal and administrative proceedings, including lawsuits, grievances, and arbitration hearings.
- Provides legal advice to district staff on compliance with 18A statutes, 6A regulations, and other aspects of education and school law.
- Manages the District’s outside labor counsel and insurance counsel as directed by General Counsel.
- Drafts templates for employment contracts.
- Prioritizes initiatives, projects, and tasks that are aligned with the Superintendent’s strategic plan and the goals of the Office of the Superintendent.
- Collaborates closely with the General Counsel to ensure that the legal team culture is positive, productive, and focused on providing outstanding support to Camden’s schools to ensure that all of the city’s students receive an excellent education.
- Provision of legal guidance as it pertains to new initiatives, revision of existing policies, and any aspect of the school system where questions of law and policy may arise.
- Provides CCSD with accurate, creative, and thoughtful legal advice on the district’s strategy to transform Camden’s schools in alignment with state, district, and local laws and policies.
- Communicates new legal policies and procedures to internal district staff.
- Provides operational and logistical support to follow up on legal questions and issues raised by current district staff.
- Supports the General Counsel in ensuring the district’s Policy Manual aligns with state law and collective bargaining agreements in all aspects of education and school law.
- Conducts district litigation as directed by General Counsel
- Collaborates with outside counsel as directed by General Counsel.
The Deputy General Counsel may also take on other tasks and responsibilities as assigned by the General Counsel, the Superintendent, or other members of the district’s senior leadership team. The Deputy General Counsel may not engage in the private practice of law while employed by the Camden City School District, unless prior approval is granted by the Superintendent
An ideal candidate for this role will demonstrate the following and/or have experiences with:
- Ability to explain complex, nuanced, and dense legal concepts in an accessible, common sense way to a wide variety of stakeholders
- Understanding of the importance of confidentiality and attorney-client privilege in handling delicate and sensitive legal issues
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Building and cultivating relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Outstanding interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Flexible, optimistic approach; committed to overcoming challenges; comfortable with ambiguity
- Managing change in complex institutions in a state of transition
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Desire to grow professionally and seek out new opportunities to learn
- Integrity and clarity in all communications and interactions
- Commitment to the success of all Camden students; specifically to raising the academic achievement of children in high-poverty communities
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- None (Note: direct reports may be subject to change as the central office structure continues to evolve)
SALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD, AND UNION AFFILIATION
- Twelve months, non-tenurable position
HOW TO APPLY
Camden Public Schools is only accepting electronic applications. Please visit our online application system to submit your resume, cover letter, and references today! Incomplete applications will not be considered.
CAMDEN CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER