TITLE: HEALTH AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION TEACHER
QUALIFICATIONS: 1. Valid New Jersey Instructional Certificate and
Health and Physical Education Endorsement or
2. Demonstrated knowledge of subject specialty and
effective teaching methods
3. Ability to maintain a positive learning environment
4. Strong interpersonal and communication skills
5. Required criminal history check and proof of U.S.
citizenship or legal resident alien status
6. Required Mantoux test
REPORTS TO: Principal/Director of Instructional Services
SUPERVISES: Students as assigned
JOB GOAL: To promote pupils' safety, wellness, health maintenance
and physical fitness; provide pupils with an
understanding of the relationship of a healthy body to
healthy behaviors; and to cultivate knowledge and skills
that are conducive to good physical and mental health.
- Works to achieve state core curriculum content standards and district Educational goals and objectives by teaching skills in comprehensive health and physical education using curriculum and instructional materials adopted by the board of education.
- Works cooperatively with other health and physical education teachers and regular classroom teachers in planning an effective comprehensive school health program.
- Provides health, safety, family life education and/or physical education instruction as assigned.
- Sets specific objectives wherever possible in lesson preparation and weekly lesson plans and carries through presentation to effectively achieve these objectives.
- Provides appropriate safety instruction and makes safety checks on equipment and field areas to ensure the overall safety of pupils. Assumes responsibility proper use and storage of physical education equipment.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to provide an orderly, productive learning environment.
- Evaluates each pupil's growth in health/physical education related knowledge and skills and maintains records of pupils' progress in class record books and/or board approved forms and summarizes these marks for reporting purposes.
- Maintains professional competence and continuous improvement through inservice education and other professional growth activities.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to inform them about the school program and to discuss pupil progress.
- Identifies pupil needs, and cooperates with other professional staff members in helping pupils solve health, behavior and learning problems.
- Participates in curriculum development activities, faculty meetings and school-level planning.
- Upholds and enforces school rules, administrative regulations and board policy.
- Performs other duties within the scope of his/her employment and certification as may be assigned.
- Regular and prompt attendance is expected and is an important factor in the Successful operation of the school district.