QUALIFICATIONS: New Jersey Teacher Certification; Technology Education Endorsement or 12 credits in Technology
REPORTS TO: Building Principals and Director of Curriculum/Instruction
JOB GOALS: To provide gifted and talented students with enhanced learning and enrichment activities, experiences and opportunities.
1. Demonstrates a commitment to the continuing development of professional skills and knowledge (e.g., by attending staff development programs, courses, seminars, study groups, district wide programs/committees/task forces).
2. Takes necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
3. Prepares and maintains clear instructional plans to provide continuity of instruction and alignment with subject area curriculum.
4. Evaluates student progress on a regular basis during duration of program and maintains accurate records as required by law, district policy and administrative regulation.
5. Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss student progress and to encourage parental participation in the student’s learning process.
6. Participates in the construction, development and evaluation of Gifted and Talented curriculum guides appropriate to one’s academic disciplines and/or grade level.
7. Establishes a criterion to be used to evaluate those students nominated by their parents, guardians or teachers.
8. Prepares the nomination letters for distribution by the end of May for the following years Gifted and Talented students.
9. Formulates a letter to be sent to students from the school informing and congratulating them on their acceptance into the program by the second week in September.
10. Organizes enrichment activities for the Gifted and Talented student in coordination with subject area teachers.
11. Studies other programs and selects from them those aspects that would benefit and adapt to our program.
12. Uses innovative and challenging approaches aligned with NJCCCS and district curriculum.
13. Coordinates a calendar of activities aligned with school activities and district events.
14. Organizes academic, as well as talent competitions, for the Gifted and Talented students.
15. Seeks out coaches and judges for competitions.
16. Orders buses for all Gifted and Talented activities.
17. Ensures that all Gifted and Talented students have permission slips for all activities.
18. Provides feedback to establish a budget for the Gifted and Talented program.
19. Evaluates the program each year and submits a report to the Office of Curriculum.
20. Performs other related professional duties as required, but consistent with the educational mission of the district.
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel.
FUNCTIONAL CAPACITY OF THE JOB: Light Work: May lift, push or pull 20+ pounds.