In our District, we put students first. Our vision: all Camden students will attend a high quality school where they are valued, challenged, and prepared for college and careers that positively impact their community and the world. High quality schools have a great teacher in every classroom, are housed in safe, clean buildings equipped to meet the needs of 21st century learners, with the support of an efficient and effective Central Office. All this is possible only with the right team members in place, working together with partners and the community to provide all students the academic, social, and emotional supports needed to succeed in school and beyond. Read more here.
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested candidates to apply for the position of School Counselor.
The School Counselor shall advise and counsel with students, their parents, teachers and community agencies in the areas of educational, social, personal and vocational guidance and assist in the testing program.
Requirements and Qualifications Minimum Requirements
- Minimum of three (3) years teaching experience.
- Standard New Jersey Student Personnel Certificate or School Guidance Counselor.
- Required criminal history background check, physical and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
Role & Responsibilities
Major roles and responsibilities include:
- To counsel periodically and as frequently as possible with pupils relative to their educational, social, personal and vocational needs.
- To assist students in completing college, employment and Armed Forces applications, including SAT and other tests as needed.
- To compile and maintain current pertinent data, test results and cumulative record information for all pupils.
- To confer with and advise parents regarding their children.
- To arrange appointments for parental and teacher conferences.
- To facilitate the district’s standardized testing program which includes the administration of the Comprehensive Test of Basis Skills and the High School Proficiency Test.
- To confer with classroom teachers in detecting special learning difficulties in terms of physical, environmental, academic, social and psychologist concerns.
- To develop and implement programs for students in the areas of educational, social, personal and vocational guidance.
- To assist school personnel in implementing the school program appropriate to the student’s needs.
- To cooperate closely with other school personnel and responsible community agencies regarding pupils.
- To cooperate with school administrators in developing inservice education programs.
- To perform all related tasks as prescribed by the school’s principal or designee.
We are seeking individuals who will exemplify the district's core values:
- Respect and Humility: We serve our community by recognizing the strengths, experiences, and perspectives of others. We humbly recognize our own limitations and incorporate lessons we gain from our reflective practice.
- Evidence-based: We use evidence to inform decisions and to ensure that we are accountable to our students and families.
- Communication & Collaboration: We communicate openly and work collaboratively, recognizing that getting to the best possible decisions requires input from others. Honest communications build trust and establish a community that assumes best intentions.
- Solutions-oriented: With respect for the complexity of this work and the history that precedes us, we focus on persistence, resourcefulness, and inclusiveness to drive toward solutions.
- Reports To: Principal or a designee appointed by the Principal
- Evaluated By: Principal or a designee appointed by the Principal
- Salary Range: Teacher's Salary Guide
- Employment Period: Ten-month, tenureable position
- Union Affiliation: Camden Education Associate (CEA)
THE CAMDEN CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
(Pending availability of funds and Superintendent’s approval)
- Full medical, dental, prescription and vision coverage, including spouse, child and family coverage
- Mandatory enrollment in NJ Pension (TPAF)
- Optional pre-tax benefits available, including flexible spending accounts for childcare, healthcare and transportation
Starting Minimum Salary: $54,272
Starting Maximum Salary: $89,972