NEWTON HIGH SCHOOL
TITLE: Head Coach – Interscholastic Athletics
QUALIFICATIONS: The Head Coach shall hold a teaching certificate issued by the State Board of Education or a substitute teaching certificate issued by the County of Sussex. The head coach must have on file his/her criminal background check.
REPORTS TO: Assistant Principal for Athletics and Student Activities
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: As directed annually and must be Board of Education approved.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: The Head Coach – Interscholastic Athletics
- Shall assume authority over and responsibility for the conduct and proper functioning of the athletic activity assigned.
- Shall determine starting personnel and playing time of athletes under his/her jurisdiction.
- Shall represent the philosophy of the school in all coaching related activities.
- Shall assist in the issuing, collecting and storage of all equipment.
- Shall have complete charge of athletes in matters of coaching and discipline.
- Shall have knowledge of the rules and regulations of his/her sport and eligibility rules of N.J.S.I.A.A., as well as in-season and out-of-season guidelines.
- Shall assume responsibility for protecting athletic equipment and supplies from damage and loss.
- Shall recommend equipment, officials and areas of concern to the Vice Principal for Athletics and Student Activities.
- Shall serve as a role model for the student athletes under his/her tutelage.
- Shall present a list of personnel to the Vice Principal for Athletics and Student Activities prior to first game (team roster). Ascertain that no athlete should be practicing until he/she has had a physical and has submitted a permission card.
- Shall ensure that accidents are reported to the Athletic Trainer for follow-up and signature of proper forms by the next day. The Athletic Trainer will then notify the school nurse with the proper forms.
- Shall complete a team history report at the end of the season.
- Shall report letter winners and participants to the Vice Principal for Athletics and Student Activities at the close of season.
- Shall coordinate use of facilities with the Vice Principal for Athletics and Student Activities, e.g., daily practice schedule when school is not in session.
- Shall ensure proper conduct in locker room and supervision of the team at all times.
- Shall verify at appropriate times student eligibility.
- Shall submit annual budget for next season.
- Shall coordinate an inventory of equipment pre and post-season.
- Shall inform the Vice Principal for Athletics and Student Activities regarding problem situations.
- Shall prepare team rosters inclusive of athletes’ name, address, phone number, and parent or guardian. File in medical kit.
- Shall maintain an active interest in the development of skills and acquisition of knowledge in such areas as physical fitness for athletes, competitive strategies, training techniques and first aid treatment of injuries.
- Shall be responsible for accident and injury reports and follow-up; this should be completed within 24 hours of the injury and given to the Athletic Trainer.
- Shall assist in the training and guidance of assistant coaches.
- Shall initiate precautions demonstrating that the safety of the athlete is of utmost importance!
- Shall perform other duties which may be necessary to ensure the proper functioning of the interscholastic athletic program and which are incident to the position of head coach.