QUALIFICATIONS: The Assistant Coach shall hold a teaching certificate issued by the State Board of Education or a substitute teaching certificate issued by the County of Sussex. The Assistant Coach must have on file his/her criminal background check.
REPORTS TO: Vice Principal for Athletics and Student Activities
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: As determined annually and must be Board of Education approved.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: The Assistant Coach
- Is directly responsible to the head coach
- Is responsible for demonstrating a philosophy and an approach consistent with that of the head coach, athletic department, and school.
- Has knowledge of the rules and regulations of your sport and eligibility rules of N.J.S.I.A.A. as well as in-season and out-of-season guidelines.
- Serves as a role model for the student athletes under his/her tutelage.
- Assumes charge of the program at the appropriate time.
- Assists in the distribution and collection of equipment.
- Ensures proper conduct in locker room.
- Is responsible for the checking of permission slips, the roster list, emergency cards, insurance coverage, eligibility lists, etc.
- Is responsible for accident and injury reports and follow-up; this should be completed within 24 hours of the injury and given to the athletic trainer.
- Is responsible for helping the head coach formulate the supervision schedule, plans and procedures and to see that these policies, once formulated, are carried out.
- Verifies, at appropriate times, student eligibility.
- Keeps abreast of the latest developments in his/her particular activities
- Assists the head coach in an organized program, maintaining the proper standards of conduct, cleanliness, and safety in the locker room and in game and match areas.
- Is responsible for attending pre-season meetings and post-season evaluation activities.
- Reports all injuries to the head coach and the athletic trainer. All accident/injuries reports should be completed and given to the athletic trainer.
- Scouts and evaluates opponents in accordance with the guidelines of the head coach.
- Assumes additional responsibilities requested by the head coach.
- Performs other duties which may be necessary to ensure the proper functioning of the interscholastic athletic program and which are incident to the position of assistant coach.
- Performs related work as required (Note: The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position).