Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION
HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES
765 BROAD STREET, NEWARK, NEW JERSEY 07102
ROGER LEON, SUPERINTENDENT
NETWORK ADMINISTRATOR I
Office of Information Technology
(Pending availability of funds and Superintendent’s approval)
The Superintendent invites qualified and interested persons to apply for the position of Network Administrator I in the Office of Information Technology.
This title is governed by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission; meaning that as a candidate for this position, you will be placed as a provisional employee. At a later date you will be required to take an examination administered by the Civil Service Commission. Candidate must score and rank high enough on this examination in order to remain in the position as a permanent employee
DEFINITION: Under direction performs professional work, which includes development, implementation, and maintenance of multi-network, multi-user Local Area Networks (LAN), Metropolitan Area Networks (MAN), and/or Wide Area Networks (WAN); maintains and/or supervises maintains and/or supervises maintenance of centralized, decentralized, and remote network services; maintains and/or directs maintenance of network security and data integrity; provides and/or directs consultations and recommendations to infrastructure managers as required to troubleshoot and resolve network problems; monitor overall performance of network systems and conduct upgrades as required; takes the lead in planning upgrades, capacity, and communication requirements; does other related duties.
NOTE: The examples of work for this title are for illustrative purposes only. A particular position using this title may not perform all duties listed in this job specification. Conversely, all duties performed on the job may not be listed.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
1. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's degree which must include a minimum of eighteen (18) semester hour credits in mathematics and/or computer science.
2. Applicants who do not possess the Bachelor's degree but possess the 18 semester hour credits may substitute additional experience as indicated below on a year-for-year basis with thirty (30) semester hour credits being equal to one (1) year of experience.
3. Evidence of formal training in Computer Science/Information Technology received at an accredited institution may be submitted with your application for evaluation by the Civil Service Commission for possible credit. These training courses will be examined to see how they compare, both in hours/content, to college courses to which they equate, sixteen (16) training hours being equal to one (1) college credit. In house training courses will not be accepted as meeting this criteria; thus, they will not be evaluated.
4. Three (3) years of experience in the development, implementation, and maintenance of multi-network, multi-user Local Area Networks (LAN), Metropolitan Area Networks (MAN), and/or Wide Area Networks (WAN) environments.
5. For positions involved in the administration of a Storage Area Network, in lieu of the above experience requirement, applicants must have three (3) years of experience installing, configuring, and supporting network hardware and software, at least one (1) year of which shall have been in the planning, implementation, and support of storage area network and related technologies.
6. Appointees will be required to possess a driver's license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform essential duties of the position.
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Supervises the development, implementation, and maintenance of multi-network multi-user environment.
2. Maintains availability of centralized, decentralized, and remote network services, including but not limited to file service, printing, local electronic mail, Internet electronic mail, office applications, remote access, Internet web connectivity, and mainframe gateway.
3. Schedules and dispatches resources to track/troubleshoot/correct network related issues either logged through the help desk and/or recorded through the monitoring of the network.
4. Plans and installs software updates and patches to network operating systems, server-based applications, and centralized services.
5. Plans and installs hardware upgrades for network servers, gateways, and associated telecommunication devices.
6. Maintains accurate and up-to-date documentation for network hardware/software.
7. Plans, configures, and troubleshoots networked devices including but not limited to printers, personal computers, facsimile, modems, plotters, and scanners.
8. Plans, configures, and troubleshoots network client software installations and updates.
9. Provides guidance to infrastructure managers/technicians to troubleshoot and resolve network problems monitor overall performance, and conduct upgrades as needed.
10. Administers user access to network resources and adds/modifies/deletes user accounts for file/print and dial-in servers.
11. Administers electronic mail gateways, both internal and Internet.
12. Diagnoses and repairs or coordinates repair of network hardware.
13. Monitors performance of servers and telecommunications devices (such as hubs, switches, and routers) and takes appropriate action to tune and optimize such devices to maximize performance and throughput, and minimize downtime.
14. Monitors disk capacity and takes appropriate action to ensure adequate disk space is available to network users, software applications, and attached devices.
15. Checks and responds appropriately to errors logged by the server and/or network devices.
16. Maintains accurate and up-to-date documentation (manual or through an online log file) of all errors of high severity and action taken to correct the error.
17. Develops, implements, and ensures adherence to system standards/ procedures.
18. Maintains the highest levels of network security and data integrity including anti-virus countermeasures.
19. Develops, tests, implements, and periodically updates a disaster recovery plan for the enterprise.
20. Ensures that daily or weekly and incremental or full backups are performed and verified, and rotates media offsite.
21. Ensures that clients are able to restore files from backup and/or archive
22. Provides technical support to end users.
23. Maintains knowledge of network-related emerging technologies and evaluates vendor products for potential use within the agency.
24. Coordinates with OTIS and other government agencies to ensure optimal use of the network topology, WAN, and wiring infrastructure.
25. Leads the capacity planning process to ensure timely and cost effective advancement of the network.
26. Prepares an annual budget for the development, implementation installation, and termination of network servers and related hardware/software/telecommunications components.
27. Will be required to learn to utilize various types of electronic recording and information systems used by the district.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of industry standard Network Operating Systems (NOS).
2. Knowledge of server hardware and associated software.
3. Knowledge of telecommunication components used to interconnect servers to communication devices and ultimately clients (PCs).
4. Knowledge of countermeasures for dealing with network security and virus protection.
5. Knowledge of techniques to determine system capacity and cost effectiveness of system utilization.
6. Ability to establish goals and set priorities.
7. Ability to schedule and organize work activities and identify/resolve problems which arise.
8. Ability to interact with orders and come to consensus on various issues.
9. Ability to work independently or in a team environment.
10. Ability to utilize various types of electronic recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
11. Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
REPORTS TO: Department Head
SALARY, EMPLOYMENT AND UNION AFFILIATION
1. Salary Range: $72,709 - $91,702 (Salary range updated for School Year 2023-2024)
2. Employment Period: Twelve (12) Months
3. Union Affiliation: Local 32
HOW TO APPLY
Newark Board of Education only accepts electronic applications
OPENING and CLOSING DATE:
Opening Date: March 10, 2022
Closing Date: March 23, 2022 or until filled
THE NEWARK BOARD OF EDUCATION IS AN
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Salary72,709.00 - 91,702.00 Annual
Type of Job (K-12 or Higher Ed.)