Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
Title: Part Time School Nurse
- To provide assessment, screening, planning, intervention, evaluation, counseling, management and/or referrals concerning the health and medical care needs of students for the purpose of minimizing absences due to illness, maximizing educational opportunities, and creating a healthy school climate.
- Works collaboratively with health care providers, students parents, school district staff and community agencies to ensure access and continuity of care for students.
- Assists in the establishment and maintenance of a comprehensive school health program.
- Collects information about the health development status of students for compliance with state immunization regulations and Board of Education policies.
- Conducts school programs of immunization, physical examinations, and sight and hearing testing.
- Performs nursing assessment for students who are ill or injured; applies appropriate theory as basis for providing first aid, nursing care, intervention and referrals for those students.
- Evaluates nursing care provided and changes plan of care as necessary.
- Implements Board policy with respect to the exclusion and readmission of students in connection with certain infectious and contagious diseases (e.g., Tuberculosis).
- Maintains accurate records and documentation in accordance with state and federal law, and Board of Education policies.
- Develops individual health care plan (ICHP) when needed with specific goals, nursing diagnosis, and interventions delineating school-nursing actions unique to students’ needs and for incorporation into the student’s individualized educational plan (IEP).
- Intervenes as guided by the nursing care plan to implement nursing actions that promote, maintain or restore health, prevent illness and effect rehabilitation.
- Serves as a member of school teams as designated health care professional (e.g., Crisis Teams, PPT, Section 504).
- Provides guidance, counseling and health education to students, parents and employees as necessary.
- Reports to parents, school district personnel, physicians, clinics, and others as needed to meet student health needs.
- Provides instruction and training regarding the Heimlich Maneuver, Blood Borne Pathogen training, the school district’s Emergency plan, and with regard to providing care for students, including students with disabilities.
- Contributes to nursing and school health through innovations in theory; practice and participation in research, including narrative and statistical reports.
- Provides medical assessment to school district employees as requested.
- Provides health education to students as requested.
- Notifies the appropriate person or agency of student’s injury/illness in accordance with Board policy as necessary.
- Confers with parents, students and school district staff and professionals to interpret health and developmental assessments.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by supervisors or other administrators.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
- Uses medical equipment to provide health care to students/staff, including, but not limited to, blood glucose monitor, stethoscopes, thermometers, sphygmomanometers.
- Uses personal computers.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy, symptoms, diagnoses, treatments, first aid, illnesses and injuries, nutrition, and related areas.
- Ability to diagnose and provide care for ill or injured students.
- Ability to convey appropriate medical information to school district staff or medical professionals to ensure a proper maintenance in the school setting.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide, and perform arithmetic operations as needed for position.
- Ability to understand, apply and use personal computers and software applications (e.g., Word, Excel, Powerpoint, the Internet, Outlook, electronic mail).
- Ability to problem solve job-related issues.
- Ability to work with a diverse group of individuals and students with special needs.
- Ability to follow oral and written orders from supervisors, administrators, physicians, and to coordinate work with principal, teachers and others.
- Ability to describe orally and in writing school health services provided, issues and concerns regarding school health.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Adheres to all applicable professional safety standards and practices in the nursing field, including requirements set forth in federal and state law, and Occupational Safety and Health regulations.
- Implements Board Policy regarding Blood Borne Pathogens and other Board policies regarding the medical or health care of employees and students.
- Frequent travel between schools may be required.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Work in standard school building environment.
- Exposure to body secretions, blood borne pathogens, medicine and medicinal supplies, illnesses and diseases.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
- Any combination of education, licenses, certifications and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Chemistry or related science area, with coursework in growth and development, health assessment, public or school health, crisis intervention and health education.
- Master’s degree in related field preferred.
- Must meet qualifications of a school nurse as defined in state regulations.
- Successful experiences working with pediatric population, preferably in a community or school setting desirable.
License or Certificate:
- Registered professional nurse, designated as R.N. as defined and determined by state law, and currently licensed in the state.
- Current certification in Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).