Glassboro Public Schools is seeking qualified candidates in the capacity of a Custodian-Housekeeper. This position is responsible for, but not limited to the following duties:
QUALIFICATIONS: Low pressure black seal boilers license preferred. Building cleaning & minor maintenance experience preferred. Ability to lift 60 lbs. or more as needed. Successful completion of criminal history and fingerprinting process required. The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to bend, sit, move about, hear, and speak. Nosie level may be high when operating power equipment. Employee may be required to work in restricted spaces to include crawling and/or climbing as working at heights. Required to stand, be on feet, and move around for a full work shift. Ability to work using ladders, scaffolding, mechanical lifts, and district vehicles. Ability to spend most of the workday standing, lifting, and walking. Ability to lift 60 lbs. and move heavier materials using appropriate equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Employee is required to use properly use such safety equipment as is appropriate to the work to prevent injury to self or others. Ability to communicate in person, by radio, electronically and over the phone. Ability to use computer equipment to complete reports, generate service orders, maintain inventories, etc. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes, or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals. It may be expected that the individual could be exposed to blood or other potentially infectious materials or illnesses during their duties. Performs other duties as assigned by the Supervisor of Building Grounds.
REPORTS TO: Supervisor of Buildings and Grounds
JOB GOAL/MAJOR FUNCTIONS:
The school custodian plays an essential role in maintaining the building and physical plant, and supporting a learning environment that promotes health, attitude, and pride of students. In addition to regular building maintenance functions, the school custodian provides direct support to classroom teachers in set up and maintenance of furniture and equipment. The school custodian also serves as a role model for students by displaying a professional, courteous, and helpful nature. (Depending on specific assignment, duties and responsibilities listed may include, but are not limited to the following):
- Sweep, mop, vacuum, scrub, and refinish floors; clean, dust and polish furniture; wash windows and walls; clean restrooms; dispose of rubbish, change lights, etc.; make certain all areas of building are kept in a clean, sanitary, and orderly condition according to industry and/or district standards.
- Pick up litter within the schools and on school grounds.
- Assure safety during inclement weather to including shoveling, salting, providing slip protection on wet floors, securing against wind damage, snow removal from roofs, remove debris from down spouts when clogged, etc.
- Applies cleaning chemicals according to established safety procedures.
- Adheres to safety measures for cleaning, lifting, moving, and operating equipment.
- Performs minor repair and maintenance as authorized by district maintenance staff.
- Removes extraneous dirt/markings from interior and exterior vertical/horizontal surfaces (walls, doors, etc.).
- Advise building Principal/ Maintenance Department on matters relating to mechanical equipment and/or building maintenance.
- Performs minor painting to walls, rails, playgrounds, and other areas of the school.
- Keeps all equipment in a good state and repair and cleanliness.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a twelve (12) month position with salary and work year to be established by the Board of Education.
Performance in this position will be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on evaluation of personnel.
GPSD communicates information regarding the hiring process via email. Please be aware that the District is not responsible for messages blocked by your email service. In an effort to allow our emails through your personal spam filter, you can add the email firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe senders list.
GPSD provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, immigration status, association with a group with one or more actual or perceived characteristics or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. The Title IX Coordinator's contact information email@example.com, 856-652-2700, or by mail, 560 Bowe Blvd, Glassboro, NJ 08028. It is the policy of GPSD to maintain a drug-free workplace. If needed, individuals protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) may request accommodation.