Our team members are the heart of what makes us better. At Hackensack Meridian Health we help our patients live better, healthier lives — and we help one another to succeed. With a culture rooted in connection and collaboration, our employees are team members. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how we support one another and how we show up for our community. Together, we keep getting better - advancing our mission to transform healthcare and serve as a leader of positive change.
The Instructional paraprofessional assists with the overall supervision of students, assist with crisis intervention including hands-on intervention and conflict resolution, assist with the implementation of the instructional program, assist with the implementation of behavioral intervention plans, substitute for absent staff (if New Jersey Department of Education endorsed), assist with the planning and implementation of extra-curricular activities, and assist with the collection of data related to student progress. Incorporates the organization's Mission, Values, and Service Standard Behavior guidelines in the fulfillment of all duties and responsibilities.
A day in the life of an Instructional Paraprofessional at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Assists in the supervision of students during all aspects of the school day: arrival, departure, lunchtime, during instructional periods, during extra-curricular activities and field trips, outside the classroom between classes, and escorting students as they travel across campus.
- Assists with implementing crisis management plans including the following: conducting or assisting with conflict resolution; supervising students during time-out; supervising and managing students not involved in the crisis; assisting with de-escalation of a pre-crisis situation; providing hands-on intervention as part of a crisis intervention team; and assisting with post-crisis follow-up activities.
- Assists teachers in preparing instructional materials and providing instruction to individual or groups of students under the direction of the classroom teacher. This may be within the classroom and small group or pullout for students.
- Assists classroom teachers in planning lessons, class trips and special projects.
- Assists in maintaining the point system of students for school wide behavioral plans.
- Assists the assigned classroom teacher in the management of students.
- Assists staff with the development, implementation and evaluation of behavioral intervention plans, including reporting behavioral observations and the review of pertinent behavioral and academic data.
- Provides substitute coverage for absent teachers on an as needed basis. This may include providing coverage on short notice, providing coverage in a variety of settings, as well as providing long-term coverage. (This requires appropriate NJDOE substitute teacher certification.)
- Assists with gathering and maintaining data pertinent to student behavior and academic progress, including daily behavior ratings, documentation of critical incidents, attendance, documenting property damage, and performance on academic assignments.
- Attends staff meetings as scheduled.
- Maintains constructive relationships with other staff members.
- Maintains positive and appropriate relationships with students.
- Seeks assistance from appropriate personnel whenever student related or school related problems occur.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in education, social work, psychology or related field.
- Minimum of six months experience working with children in a group setting.
- NJDOE Criminal History Review.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills that may include but are not limited to Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite platforms.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
1. NJDOE Substitute Teacher Certification, or obtained within 90 days of hire.
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.
Our team members are the heart of what makes us better. At Hackensack Meridian Health we help our patients live better, healthier lives — and we help one another to succeed. With a culture rooted in connection and collaboration, our employees are team members. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how we support one another and how we show up for our community.
Together, we keep getting better - advancing our mission to transform healthcare and serve as a leader of positive change.