Our team members are the heart of what makes us better. At Hackensack Meridian Health we help our patients live better, healthier lives — and we help one another to succeed. With a culture rooted in connection and collaboration, our employees are team members. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how we support one another and how we show up for our community. Together, we keep getting better - advancing our mission to transform healthcare and serve as a leader of positive change.
The Teacher of Health, Physical Education & Drivers Education assists with implementing the New Jersey Department of Education Core Curriculum Content Standards while providing a well-developed senior and junior high school level program in Health and Physical Education for classified pupils. Incorporates the organization's Mission, Values, and Service Standard Behavior guidelines in the fulfillment of all duties and responsibilities.
A day in the life of a Teacher of P.E. & Health at Hackensack Meridian Health includes:
- Provide well-constructed Health and Physical Education lessons that meet the requirements and the New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards for Health, Physical Education and Drivers Education.
- Lessons should be presented that focus upon proficiency levels based on standards developed by the National Council of Teachers of Health and Physical Education and the NJ Core Curriculum Content Standards in Health and Physical Education.
- Promotes standards in safe, healthy, physical fitness activities including the promotion of good sportsmanship.
- Provides fundamental motor skill development in sports, and intramural activities.
- Lessons should have clearly stated objectives, builds on previous learning and relates to future lessons that contain a summary of key points.
- Prepare lesson plans that reflect a logical sequence of learning objectives and activities that reflect the National and New Jersey State curriculum standards in Health and Physical Education.
- Utilizes a variety of learning materials and activities and utilizes discussion and questioning techniques effectively.
- Assesses and monitors students' progress frequently and by appropriate means, feedback, and modifying the lesson as needed.
- Reports accurate and relevant information regarding student progress and achievement at conferences, IEP meetings, drafts PLAAFP's, on report cards, on progress reports and to administrative staff as needed.
- Participates in school-based committees in developing programming and curriculum for the students.
- Establishes tournaments, supplemental activities and non-competitive events to promote team building (minimally twice per school year).
- Provides clearly articulated behavioral expectations to students and provides students with feedback and reinforcement regarding their behavior.
- Applies the school-wide behavior rewards program and behavioral contracts as directed.
- Enforces school rules consistently and contributes to the maintenance of a safe and orderly environment.
- Maintains constructive relationships with other staff members.
- Maintains positive and appropriate relationships with students.
- Seeks assistance from appropriate personnel whenever student related or school related problems occur.
- Implements student-related intervention plans and other plans related to the daily operation of the program as directed by an administrator.
- Other duties and/or projects as assigned.
- Adheres to HMH Organizational competencies and standards of behavior.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Minimum three (3) years as a Teacher.
- NJDOE Criminal History Review.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills that may include but are not limited to Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite platforms.
Education, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Preferred:
1. Degree in Physical Education, Health or related field.
Licenses and Certifications Required:
- NJDOE Teacher of Health and Physical Education or NJDOE Teacher of Health and Physical Education Certificate of Eligibility.
- NJDOE Teacher of Students with Disabilities Certification OR the willingness to enroll in a NJDOE approved Teacher of Students with Disabilities college/university program prior to work start date. Proof of programs and certifications to be provided to the East Mountain School administration; teachers must adhere to certification timelines to obtain their standard credential(s).
- AHA HeartSaver First Aid CPR AED Certification, or completed within the first 90 days of employment.
Licenses and Certifications Preferred:
1. Driver Improvement/Defensive Driving Program Certification.
If you feel the above description speaks directly to your strengths and capabilities, then please apply today!
Hackensack Meridian Health (HMH) is a Mandatory Influenza Vaccination Facility
As a courtesy to assist you in your job search, we would like to send your resume to other areas of our Hackensack Meridian Health network who may have current openings that fit your skills and experience.
Our team members are the heart of what makes us better. At Hackensack Meridian Health we help our patients live better, healthier lives — and we help one another to succeed. With a culture rooted in connection and collaboration, our employees are team members. Here, competitive benefits are just the beginning. It’s also about how we support one another and how we show up for our community.
Together, we keep getting better - advancing our mission to transform healthcare and serve as a leader of positive change.