Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to develop students' skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing, foster communication skills, develop an understanding and appreciation of literature of all types, motivate students to read a wide variety of publications to derive information, comprehend and critically assess the reading materials, and to promote the development of skills in the field of English reading, grammar and syntax.
- Administers English education curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Utilizes lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Teaches knowledge and skills in English grammar and syntax, sentence and paragraph structure, composition, vocabulary and proper word usage, word denotations and connotations, creative writing, independent thinking, communication and speaking.
- Develops standards for critical analysis through group discussions on a variety of reading materials, including the mass media, and a wide range of literature.
- Works with students and others to prepare materials for inclusion in literary publications, contests, etc.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs.
- Maintains familiarity with district and New Jersey State standardized tests for the purpose of adapting curriculum to maximize student achievement on such tests.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of English grammar, word usage, word denotations and connotations, spelling, literature and other content areas taught.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- NJ State Certification as a high school English Teacher or Language Arts Teacher.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.