Applying to this job will open a new window on the employer's web site to apply there.
Assistant Business Administrator/Comptroller
The Camden City School District is in the midst of a transformative period marked by progress. Since 2012, the graduation rate has increased from 49 percent to 70 percent while the dropout rate has decreased from 21 percent to 12 percent. Across all District schools, staff are focused on providing the appropriate supports to students to ensure they are successful. In the past few years, this focus has included a shift toward restorative practices and trauma-informed care, which has led to declining suspension rates and increased attention on school climate and culture.
The Assistant Business Administrator will play a key role in supporting the School Business Administrator in maintaining the highest level of fiscal business management and accountability of the district. As Comptroller, this individual will be responsible for the planning, managing, and monitoring the financial operations of the District, including accounting, payroll, accounts payable, financial reporting, and revenues that align with district board policies and adhere to district, federal, and state objectives and regulations.
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in Business or a CPA certificate
Possess or be eligible for the New Jersey School Business Administrator’s Certificate
- At least three years of experience in a K-12 district as an Assistant School Business Administrator or a School Business Administrator preferred
A thorough understanding of the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) established by the Governmental Accounting Standards Board, school budget preparation and internal control systems
At least five (5) years experience in finance and/or budgeting and accounting
- At least three (3) years supervisory experience
- New Jersey school district business experience preferred
Required criminal history background check, physical and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Major responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Assists the School Business Administrator in annual budget development and long-range financial planning
- Coordinates the monthly and yearly preparation of state and federal financial reports
- Monitors the financial reporting system to allow for the analysis of funds in accordance to the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Oversees the preparation of all financial reporting and analysis
- Oversees the reconciliation of all cash and account balances
- Provides oversight for all cash flow and makes recommendations for aggressive cash management and investment of float and surplus funds
- Oversees the year end reconciliation process
- Assists with the review and approval of purchase orders, payrolls, fund transfers and other financial transactions requiring Business Office approval
- Manages the coordination of internal and external auditing including federal and state auditors and oversees implementation of the annual corrective action plan (CAP)
- Provides technical assistance and training for district staff in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), budget development and accounting procedures
- Project manages and oversees the completion and submission of grant applications and the application for state school aide (ASSA)
- Reviews, gathers documentation, and prepares responses to Open Public Records Act (OPRA) requests
- Ensure compliance with the District’s board policies, federal, and state regulations
- Reviews and revises the District’s current standard operating procedures (SOP) and budget/financial internal controls to safeguard the District’s assets
- Oversees the following teams: Payroll, Accounting, Reporting, Accounts Payable, and Revenues
- Assists in recruiting, screening, hiring, supervising and evaluating personnel for positions in the Business Office.
- Performs, in the absence of the School Business Administrator/Board Secretary, the responsibilities of the School Business Administrator/Board Secretary
Perform other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Supervisor’s designee
An ideal candidate for this role will demonstrate the following and/or have experience with:
- Demonstrated record leading complex and cross-functional initiatives in diverse organizational settings
- Strong problem-solving and project management skills
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong oral and written communication skills and interpersonal and teamwork skills
- Integrity and clarity in all communications and interactions
- Flexible, optimistic approach; committed to overcoming challenges; comfortable with change and ambiguity
- Ability to work independently and manage multiple responsibilities simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and take initiative
- Desire to grow professionally and seek out new opportunities to learn
- Commitment to the success of all Camden students; specifically to raising the academic achievement of children in high- poverty communities
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and achievement-oriented environment
- A willingness to go above and beyond to do whatever it takes to achieve strong results
We are seeking individuals who will exemplify the District’s core values:
Respect and Humility
We serve our community by recognizing the strengths, experiences, and perspectives of others. We humbly recognize our own limitations and incorporate lessons we gain from our reflective practice.
We use evidence to inform decisions and to ensure that we are accountable to our students and families.
Communication & Collaboration
We communicate openly and work collaboratively, recognizing that getting to the best possible decisions requires input from others. Honest communications build trust and establish a community that assumes best intentions.
With respect for the complexity of this work and the history that precedes us, we focus on persistence, resourcefulness, and inclusiveness to drive toward solutions.
REPORTS TO & EVALUATED BY
School Business Administrator
Senior Director of Accounting and Senior Manager, Payroll
SALARY, EMPLOYMENT PERIOD, AND UNION AFFILIATION
- CompetitiveEmployment Period
- Twelve monthsUnion Affiliation
THE CAMDEN CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYE