YingHua International School (YHIS; www.yhis.org), a private accredited International Baccalaureate (IB) and Middles States Association (MSA) accredited dual-language Mandarin immersion school located in Kingston, NJ, is seeking an experienced and entrepreneurial Head of School to help advance its academic mission and pilot the school through its next phase of growth.
As the senior-most member of the YHIS administrative team, the Head of School leads the school community to ensure effective and efficient delivery of the school’s mission in accordance with its core values and principles. In this role, the Head of School works closely with the Board of Directors to develop and execute a comprehensive and sustainable growth strategy. In addition, the Head of School will be responsible for developing and managing an effective leadership team tasked with overseeing our educational programs, development, and operations. A prominent public facing role, the Head of School will also serve as the primary external “face” of YingHua to parents, donors, and the extended community.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE HEAD OF SCHOOL
Strategy / Vision
- Partners with the Board of Directors to set short and long-term strategic objectives
- Actively embodies, manifests, and advocates for the mission of the school
- Articulates and communicates the vision for the school and its future to internal and external stakeholders
- Monitors and addresses all matters of the school’s climate and culture
- Oversees and manages the sometimes-competing demands of various internal and external stakeholders across the school community.
Leadership and Culture
- Embodies and proactively champions YingHua’s core values of Excellence, Diversity, Integrity, and Compassion
- Directly supervises the faculty and staff and coordinates the activities of the entire organization
- Holds regular meetings of the faculty and staff and sees that the general policies of YHIS and its bylaws are understood and followed
- Handles all matters regarding employment, retention, and dismissal of personnel; salaries and contracts; job assignments and performance evaluations; and orientation and training.
- Oversees all aspects of the school (academics, admissions, advancement and operations) and establishes school policies and programs to ensure functional objectives are met.
- Prepares and executes regular formal people and program evaluations.
- Fosters a culture of collaboration and accountability across the organization.
- Represents the school to its constituents including the parents, students, alumni, faculty, and staff and members of the broader community.
- Supports admissions and development efforts to cultivate external support for the school.
- Represents the school in its relations with state and federal agencies and with local, state, regional, and national educational organizations and accrediting agencies.
- Acts as a liaison with external organizations to ensure fulfillment of the school's contractual obligations and coordinates procedures where the interests of both organizations are involved.
- Supervises and assists with all other aspects of the school’s operations, including, (but not limited to), crisis management, facilities maintenance and operation, ancillary programs (YingHua summer camp, StarTalk) development and fund raising, and alumni affairs.
DESIRED QUALITIES, EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Prior senior academic leadership experience, preferably in an IB, private, or dual language immersion environment is required. We seek current or former senior educational leaders who demonstrate:
- Deep academic leadership credentials preferably in an IB, immersion learning environment
- A proven track record leading a diverse community of faculty, parents, and students
- Operational management experience to oversee finances, people management, planning, marketing, and facilities
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills at both the individual and group level
- Strategic thinking, analytical capability, and problem-solving skills
- Strong project and time management skills
- Demonstrated track record of effective talent management and staff development
- Demonstrated track record leadership in a growing private not-for-profit institution
- Direct administration experience in a dual-language immersion and/or IB or equivalent trans-disciplinary education preferred
Master’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university in education, educational management, business administration or related field; doctoral degree preferred.
Dual language proficiency, particularly in Mandarin Chinese or other language, is highly desirable but not required for the position. Non-profit management experience a plus.
ABOUT YINGHUA INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL (YHIS)
Founded in 2007, YingHua International School (YHIS) continues its ambitious journey to prepare the next generation for an increasingly globalized and technology enabled world where multilingual fluency and critical independent thinking are indispensable. Our model of interdisciplinary, inquiry-based learning and dual language immersion provides a foundation for growth that will serve our students well no matter their desired course in life.
YingHua accomplishes its mission through the fostering of its 4 key values; Excellence, Diversity, Integrity, and Compassion.
YingHua students undertake study of regular subjects primarily in Mandarin Chinese, taught by native speakers. In this way students quickly become highly proficient in reading, writing, and speaking Mandarin. This full immersion approach is combined with a trans-disciplinary inquiry-based curriculum. The combination of these two approaches provides significant cognitive advantages starting in mid-elementary school and carrying on to later in life. YingHua currently serves students ages 18 months through 8th grade and is an accredited International Baccalaureate (IB), MSA-CESS and AIS/NJAIS school.
Interested candidates should submit a relevant resume and cover letter to Elizabeth Pepek, Chair of Board of Directors, at email@example.com, or 609-375-8145.