QUALIFICATIONS: Hold a valid New Jersey educational services certificate in accordance with the requirements of N.J.S.A 18A:27.1 et seq., and N.J.A.C 6:11-11.13. Demonstrates an understanding of current rules and regulations regarding Child Study Teams and special education assessments and program requirements. Successfully completes required criminal history check and has proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.
REPORTS TO: Director of Special Education and Building Principal
JOB GOALS: The Learning Disability Teacher Consultant (LDT-C) provides a full range of services as a member of the Child Study Team in the identification and diagnosis of perceptual and learning disabilities. The LDT-C assess the needs of children and supports the district’s instructional programs by assisting students to reach their academic potential consistent with the goals and mission set forth by Penns Grove-Carneys Point Regional School District. The Learning Disabilities Teacher Consultant (LDT-C) assists the instructional staff in an understanding of the needs of student’s identified with academic disabilities and recommends and demonstrates techniques, strategies, and materials so that our students meet or exceed New Jersey Core Curriculum Content Standards.
- Serves as a member of the basic Child Study Team, complying with state and federal statutes.
- Participates in the evaluation, identification, classification and placement of all pupils requiring special education services.
- Provides comprehensive educational evaluation services as a member of the Child Study Team and the Intervention and Referral Services Committee (I&RS) in the assessment of, educational planning for, monitoring of, and re-evaluation of students in need of special services, in accordance with all applicable federal, State and local codes and regulations.
- Reports academic findings at regularly scheduled Child Study Team meetings.
- Actively participates in the deliberations of the Child Study Team and jointly identifies educationally disabled students and assists in planning the IEP when appropriate.
- Maintain liaison with parents of classified students for the purposes of sharing information regarding educational planning and programming.
- Assists in coordinating, developing, monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of the Individual Education Program of designated students.
- Maintains confidential records on all referred students and student/parent contacts in accordance with federal and state law, Board policy and the procedures of the Penns Grove-Carneys Point Regional School District board policy.
- Provides thorough and timely reports, data, information, etc. as requested by the Director of Special Services.
- Acts as liaison between the school and juvenile court when requested.
- Assists with in-service training of school personnel when requested.
- Prepares for and attends staffing meetings at which the Individual Education Plan is developed and discussed with appropriate personnel.
- Maintains a level of professional competence appropriate to the specific area of certification, assignment and matters of general educational importance.
- Other Assigned Duties: performs all other duties and assumes such other duties as required.
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation of Professional Personnel, and law.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER